Chapter 16: The Lion Turtle's Den

Katara looked at her reflection in the puddle. They had spent the entire afternoon getting her primed and prepped, making her look like a wealthy Fire Nation elitist. It made her stomach grow queasy with nervousness.

Her hair was straightened with sweet smelling oils. They made her hair slick and shiny, reflecting the sun rays back at her. She wanted to rip her hair out to make it go away. It was supposed to last one week but she wondered if she would start plucking individual strands before then.

It was pulled in a half up half down hairstyle that made her look visibly fire nation. When she went back in town, she looked at all the rich women, who walked with their chins raised and their chests up. She tried to match their style, their essence, knowing it was their only chance at making this work.

But it was utterly disgusting.

Pretending to be part of the Fire Nation was taking privy to the devastation they had caused. If she were a noble woman, her husband, her brother would be the one causing mass destruction across the world, disturbing the balance of peace.

She felt like she lost all essence of herself. Even her skin was slick with a powder, taking all the ebony tones of her skin and making them lighten. Every part of her had lost her water tribe heritage.

She squeezed her mother's necklace between her fingers and took a deep breath. She took one last look into her reflection, not recognizing the woman staring back at her. She stood up from where she was kneeling on the ground and walked back to the group.

Sokka fiddled with the helmet in his hands, tossing it between them. Katara saw the same conflict in his eyes that she saw in hers. Impersonating a Fire Nation guard on the ship was one thing, but breaking into a prison being a Fire Nation solider was another. They were pretending to be the same people who killed their mother, or hurt Aang's people, or took down Ba Sing Se. It was more complicated then either of them had imagined when making the plan.

But Sokka looked up when Katara approached, determination written on his face, "Ready?"

Katara nodded, staying quiet as she slipped her hands into her sleeves, assuming her position of the perfect Fire Nation matriarch.

They rode on Appa to the spot where they were to meet their caravan. They knew this was the beginning of something. They knew that this was the biggest risk they had taken yet, but it was something they had to do.

Katara looked forward at the mountain tops that surrounds the prison. It was impossible to even see the guard towers the lined the prison with the mountains that towered in front of them. The mountains surrounded the prison on all sides, making it even harder to escape. But somehow that's what they planned to do.

Sokka put on his helmet, "Good luck everyone" he spoke softly, his voice muffled underneath the metal.

Katara nodded, looking towards the direction that the ostrich carriage would be picking them up. Aang looked at her, "We'll see you on the inside" then he yanked on Appa reigns gently, muttering a simple command and flying high into the sky. Katara watched as the mass of fur slowly disappeared from view.

Now all they had to do was wait, and pray.

Katara and Sokka heard the caravan approach. A guard stepped from the ostrich horse, "You must be Lady Fire" he bowed the respectful fire nation bow, while Katara glared down at him, trying her best to pretend he was a murderer. It was the easiest way to keep up her foul demeanor.

She couldn't think about how he may be killed for letting an imposter into the prison. She couldn't let her guilt win in her over. He was the cause of the war, he was Ozai himself if it meant that she kept up her act.