Chapter 9

About a month has passed and we haven't heard from Soji at all. A month of sitting around waiting for the old bugger was starting to drive us all crazy. We were getting bored.

One morning Ren walked in with several newspaper clippings, he walked up to the kitchen table Connor and I were sitting at and threw them down in front of us, "I've had enough of waiting and I am bored as hell. I don't know if this actually leads to anything but we need to at least check it out."

Connor and I both leaned forward to take a closer look at the clippings, and I looked up at my brother, "okay, so all of the headlines start off talking about this one house. It seems that anyone who's ever bought the house disappears a day or so later." I skimmed through another clipping, "this one mentions an interview with the caretaker of the house, Frank Tilly. He claims to have seen a ghost and believes that it is the reason for the disappearances."

Connor furrowed his brow, "what kind of ghost I wonder. Male or female?"

Ren pointed at a clipping, "right here it says female."

I put down a newspaper clipping and said to Ren, "these are just articles and they don't give us a whole lot to go by. How would we follow this case?"

Ren sighed impatiently and crossed his arms, "at least its something. I know you two are going just as crazy as I am sitting around here, we need to do something. Soji should have contacted us by now, he's probably dead."

I thought for a moment and stood up, "okay you two, get ready. First thing we're going to need to do is find out where the caretaker is and ask a few questions."

Ren grinned and picked up the truck keys "alright, let's go."

Connor hesitated, "do we really have to go after ghosts..?"

I nodded, "yes, you wimp."

***

We drove about two hours out of town before we reached Frank's house. We pulled up in the driveway and almost immediately and old man who looked to be in his late sixties stumbled out of a small, rundown looking cottage. The screen door slamming shut behind him. He was about average height, wore grease stained coveralls and a hat that was also stained with grease.

Connor, Ren and I all stepped out of the truck and watched him make his way towards us, well more like stumbled. I noticed the beer bottle held tightly in his hand, "What're you kids doing here?" He called then took a swig from the bottle.

I could hear Connor grumble under his breath, "great, we're dealing with a drunk..Ren, you sure about this case..?"

Ren just elbowed him in the side and smiled politely at the old man, "hello, we just have a few questions about that old farmhouse you used to work at. We saw your interview in the newspaper."

The old man looked us up and down suspiciously and slurred, "You're not one of those bloody ghost buster people are ya? If so, I got no use for you lot."