Chapter 31

31Charlie

I woke just after dawn the following morning. Zyirah was missing from the bed beside me, so I dressed quickly, sticking to my leathers and armor for the sake of the army that had arrived the day before. It was nerve-racking having so many people on the battlefield when I stepped out. Even though I squinted in the brightness against my sensitive eyes, I could see that already there were dozens of men filling the empty lot, though it was just after sunrise.

All of them stood at attention in orderly rows before a man who faced them at their head. I watched as the man drew his sword and struck a pose with it. Likewise, the men mimicked him in unison. He withdrew his position, then thrust out into another, looking as though he were training them in sparring or defense techniques. Maybe both. The men copied him until his eyes fell on me, and he raised a hand, calling the group to attention. He bowed before me as I approached, and my brows furrowed as I came to a stop next to him.

"Good morning, Creator. Would you care to inspect the troops this morning?"

I wanted to say no but was afraid of not appropriately fulfilling my role in the eyes of the soldiers, and thus, disappointing them. So, unsure what to do, I walked down the row of men in front of me, glancing at each soldier I passed. They stood with military stiffness, but I noticed their eyes watching me as I rounded to another aisle and started back toward the instructor.

"They look good to me. If I see a problem, I'll let you know, okay?"

"Very good, Creator." He bowed again and I sighed.

"Please don't bow to me."

His face flushed as he erected himself. "I apologize. I forgot..."

"It's fine. Um... continue on then, I guess."

"Yes, sir."

He immediately returned to his duty, as though I had commanded him, and I resisted the urge to groan as I walked quickly away toward the mess hall. Mom and Zyirah sat at the center table with Xylem, a bowl of fruit of between them, lost in quiet conversation. Zirlic, Lars, Zak, and the boys were standing over the table on the left, a scattering of maps beneath them. They looked up when I entered and straightened as I came to stand beside Zirlic.

"How you feeling, son?"

"A-OK. What are you doing?"

I braced my hands on the table as I leaned over the map. It was a drawing of the outer edges of Divincia and the Phoenix Sea. A few places had been marked with small X's and I pursed my lips as I looked over it.

"We're trying to get a hand on what our weakest points of entry are." Lars explained and pointed to a cluster of X's that dotted the northern shore of Warrior Hold. "Obviously, the beach is wide open. It leaves us vulnerable for infiltration, but unfortunately is also our only means on and off of Divincia, in the event that we need to retreat in order to get you to safety."

My eyes shot forward. "Retreat?"

He shrugged. "Assuming worst case scenario, of course."

I shook my head as I looked back at the map. "Worst case or not, I will not retreat. If I feel we've gotten to the point that we will either be overrun or killed," my eyes raised to him. "then I want you and Zirlic to take your men and everyone else back to Ceribal where it's safe. I will stay and finish with Jackal."

Zirlic and Lars both gaped at me. "Sir, I don't think that's—"

I raised my hand to cut him off. "I won't argue about it. The matter is decided."