4 3 | g a l a

• n o o r •

Caroline had told me that this gala was kind of a big thing so I should get ready from a salon so here I was, sitting on a chair for the last two hours while a makeup artist did her magic to my face.

The woman had styled my hair in a 90's blow-out and did my makeup in nudes and pinks. To complete my look, I wore the dainty little pair of diamond earrings that Faaris had gifted me yesterday to go with the dress.

"Thanks for making me look so pretty." I said to the woman as I stared at myself in the mirror.

"Girl, those features didn't need any makeup. Thanks your parents for these amazing genes." She said and I chuckled at this.

Faaris was going to pick me up and I was a little nervous. This was the first time I was dressed in such clothes and although it didn't show much skin, the dress was form-fitting.

I was wearing heels when I got a text from Faaris saying he was waiting outside. Putting a confident smile on my face, I assembled my things in my little purse and made my way to the outside.

Faaris was leaning against his car, his eyes on the mobile screen. He was wearing a blue suit that matched my dress. He always looked good but today, he looked no lesser than a celebrity.

MaShaAllah!

As I stepped closer to him, he raised his head and stared at me. His eyes travelled from my head to toe, lingering at a few places and my cheeks warmed up at the look of approval.

"How do I look?" I asked nevertheless.

He took a step towards me, keeping his eyes plastered on me. Stopping one foot away from me, he tucked a loose strand of my hair behind my ears and then whispered, "Let's just say, I'm glad we are in public and not at home."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, knowing very well what he meant.

"Nothing." He winked and opened the door for me. Rolling my eyes, I adjusted in the seat with my heavy dress.

The car started and I fanned myself. The dress, the hair, the makeup, it made me feel a little suffocated. What unnerved me more was Faaris' heated glances at myself. Was I overdressed? Did I look vulgar?

"Don't." He said.

"Don't what?" I asked.

"Don't overthink. You look great." He said.

"But do I look too great?" I asked and he laughed out at this.

"No Noor, you look moderately great. Happy?" He said.

"Peachy." I shrugged.

The car drive to the gala was about half an hour long. Once we reached there, Faaris walked over to my side and opened the door for me. Once the valet took the car away, he wrapped his hand with mine and led me inside.

It was a huge hall and filled up to the brim with men and women. Men were dressed in three-piece suits and women were all jeweled up and in expensive looking gowns. I didn't know how I ended up at such a place

"Come on." Faaris took me to a group of people standing.

He greeted them first and then introduced me. "Ladies and gentlemen, meet Noor, my wife." He then turned to me. "They are all my business partners."

I smiled and nodded at everyone as we exchanged pleasantries. After that, Faaris started talking to them about work and new projects and other boring things.  Soon, I started feeling a little out of place so I excused myself and started walking around idly.