3 2 | a f t e r m a t h

A/N: If you haven't read the recap, please do it before reading further.

• n o o r •

Next day, to avoid talking to Faaris about last night, I made my way straight to the lounge after doing my morning routine. What happened last night was still ringing in my mind like a nagging alarm. Even though he had all sorts of right on me, we still crossed a boundary, a big one. And what aggravated me the most was the fact that a tiny part of me liked it, and it wanted more. Astagfirullah!

"Assalamu Alaikum beta, you are up early." Uncle--- Dad said to me as he watched me enter the lounge. He was reading newspaper while a Pakistani TV channel played in the background.

"Wa Alaikum Assalam, yes I couldn't sleep much." I said and made my way to the couch. "Where is Mom?"

"She is sleeping." He replied and put his newspaper away.

"Oh. Would you like some tea? Or coffee?" I asked.

"To be honest, tea would be nice right now." He said.

"I'll be right back." I said and went to the kitchen. It took me ten minutes to make a piping hot cup of tea. By the time I returned, he had his eyes focused on the morning show playing on the LED.

I put one cup in front of him and took the other with me to another couch.

"How are you adjusting in Seattle, Noor beta?" He asked. The kindness in his voice reminded me of Papa. God, I miss my family.

"Just fine. Nothing much has changed for me, given I don't leave the apartment much." I smiled.

"And why is that?" His eyebrows furrowed.

"Um... Faaris tries his best to make time for me but I can't ask him to take me outside everyday and I don't like to roam around alone." I replied.

"Don't you get bored at home?" He asked.

"I do. But..." I played with my fingers.

"You have a degree in graphic arts, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, but I can't get a job until I get permanent visa." I reminded him.

"I know. But you can visit our office and spend time with our Arts team. It will give you some time to learn how things work in America before starting a real job." He said.

The idea sounded good, too good, but then Faaris' face flashed in front of my eyes. "Um... I don't think it would be a good idea."

"What won't be a good idea?" I heard Faaris' voice as he made his way to the couch. He took the spot beside me and feeling his presence around me once again reminded me of last night.

"I was asking Noor to join us at the office." Dad said.

Hearing this, Faaris turned to me and observed me silently, while I played with the hem of my shirt.

"Let her enjoy her freedom. She can start working once she is a permanent resident here." Faaris said.

"What freedom? She gets bored at home." Dad defended.

"But---"

"No ifs or buts. It's my company and she is coming." Dad gave his final words, that left no room for any discussion.

I turned to observe Faaris' reaction and found him already staring at me.

"Assalamu Alaikum, Subah Bakhair." Mom's voice broke the ongoing tension.

"Wa Alaikum Assalam." All of us replied in unison.

"What a pleasant morning!" She said. "I'll make Aloo Paratha for everyone."