1 2 | r u d e

• n o o r •

Exactly one hour later, I walked inside the cafeteria and looked around the spacious area. Most of the tables were filled with teenagers hanging around in groups. My search stopped when my eyes landed on Faaris sitting in a corner table, scrolling his mobile screen in an uninterested manner.

I walked over to his table and sat down in front of him. That finally forced him to lift his head and acknowledge me.

"Hello," he said and shifted in his seat.

"Assalam o Alaikum." I said and I could feel his inner urge to roll his eyes.

"Wa alaikum assalam." He said and slid the menu card towards me, as the waiter had started to roam around us.

"One Caramel Macchiato please." I said to the waiter as I knew the menu by heart.

"One vanilla latte and a blueberry muffin." Faaris said and then waited for the waiter to leave. Once he had walked away, he turned his attention to me. "So, what did you want to talk about?" He asked.

"Do you even have to ask?" I replied angrily but kept my voice low.

"What is it, Noor?" He said and my anger peaked.

"Don't tell me you don't know why I am here. Why did you send proposal for me?" I asked.

His eyebrows dipped and he looked away from my face. "I didn't. My parents did." He corrected.

"Oh, so you didn't know about it?" I asked.

"I did." He shrugged.

"And you didn't refuse them?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Neither did you, apparently." He mimicked my action.

I wanted to empty the glass of water that was on the table over his head but restrained myself because the waiter soon returned with our order. Some nerve he had to blame me after turning my life upside down in just few minutes.

Once the waiter left, I picked up the warm cup and concentrated my attention on it. Faaris did the same and ignored me as if he was sitting there alone. Why in God's name did anyone think we would be a good match if we can't even talk like normal adults?

"Well, what are we going to do about it?" I asked.

"Nothing." He cocked his head to a side.

"Nothing? You aren't going to refuse them?" My eyes widened.

"No, but if you want, you can." He said.

"You know very well I can't do that. I have already agreed to it." I said.

"So have I." He replied calmly.

"How can you be so calm in this situation?" I said in a panicked voice. "I don't want to marry you."

I immediately regretted saying that so harshly because his expressions changed all of sudden. For a brief moment, a wave of vulnerability flashed in his eyes, followed by clenching of his teeth and furrowing of his brows.

He scooted forwards and rested his arms on the table. "Not to burst your bubble Noor, I'm not dying to marry you either. But I have given my word to my Mom. I am not going to back out of this marriage unless you do it." He said.

"I'm not going to do that." I said, matching his glare.

"Then congratulations, future Mrs. Faaris. This marriage is happening." He said and a deep blush crawled up my cheeks on hearing that.