The Running Theme

Klaus buried his face in your hair, his gangly frame shaking as he clutched your shoulders. You stayed that way for a while until the argument quieted and others began to notice, quickly stepping away and wiping your tears.

"We need to move, okay?" Luther asked after a tense moment. "That is more important here. That is our only option."

"No, we need to box those windows and stay here," Diego argued, but everyone went silent when Vanya returned downstairs. You hadn't even noticed she had gone upstairs.

"I'm leaving," she said, and Allison stood up.

"What? To go where?" she asked, her tone laced with concern.

"And why?" you added, still gripping Klaus' hand tightly in yours.

"Sissy's farm. Something's wrong with Harlan, and... I need to help him."

"Vanya, we need to stick together, okay?" Luther said, stepping forward. "Now more than ever."

"That's why I'm telling you this," Vanya continued, glancing around at all of you, her eyes lingering regretfully on you. "Whatever's going on with Harlan... I think I might have caused it."

"How?" Luther breathed.

"He drowned," Vanya admitted after a silent moment. Your lips parted, and you realized how difficult it must have been for Vanya to live here without her memories. Her family here must mean a lot to her. "And, uh... somehow I was able to bring him back to life, and now it's like we're... like we're connected."

"What does that even mean?"

"I don't know," Vanya replied quickly, "I can't explain, but... I know that he needs my help. And I need your help, too."

You bit your lip, thinking. Of course you wanted to help her, but... if there was a way to get out of here, shouldn't you prioritize finding that instead?

"I'm scared," Vanya admitted, and you swallowed hard, resolve crumpling. "And for the first time in my life, I don't wanna do it alone. I want my family by my side. I know I've hurt all of you - especially Eight - but I... I love you. And I'm sorry."

You looked away, heart twisting. Of course you loved her too.

"Look, I'm sorry, but..." Diego stepped forward with his bare arms crossed over his black tank top. "We have other priorities right now."

"Diego's right," Five said from in front of you, and you snapped your attention to him with a frown. "For once. We need to make our stand here and now."

Vanya looked around at each of the others, tears gathering in her eyes as they looked away, until her gaze landed on you.

You took a deep breath, locking eyes with her and biting your lip hard, but before you could step forward, Diego stepped in front of you. You opened your mouth to argue, but Vanya spoke before you could.

"Okay. I guess I'll see you when I see you." She exited quickly, her voice thick with emotion, and you shoved Diego away, glaring up at him.

"Hey, shithead," you spit. "That's our sister. And I'm not letting her go anywhere alone."

"That's my lil sis," Klaus said cheerfully, taking hold of your hand once more and dragging you behind him to the car. You grinned, allowing him to lead, and hopping in the backseat as he got in the passenger's side.

"So, so, so," he said as you settled in. "Ben..." He turned to Vanya with a sigh. "Gone forever. Isn't he?"

Vanya paused, staring at him.

"He traded his life for mine," she said finally. "And only saved the world in the process."

Klaus scoffed.