Real Goddamn Heroes

When your eyes snapped open after you pictured Allison, you discovered her passed out on the floor, along with Diego and Klaus, as waves of blue swept through the hallway they were in. Your mouth opened and shut in shock. Where even were they? This must be the government building.

They had failed. Vanya was going to destroy the world - again. 

However, just before your heart began pounding and brought you out of the scene, the waves stopped. You looked around curiously, kneeling down and checking to make sure each of your siblings were breathing, sighing with relief when you saw their chests rise and fall methodically.

You spun around when you heard feet hitting the floor, revealing Vanya. You smiled before growing confused.

Who had saved her?

But that didn't matter. The others began waking up, and you knew you had to get back to the real world. They needed the briefcase to-

"Eight!" 

You jerked backward with a gasp, ripping the monocle away from your temple and stumbling to your feet.

Five stood above you as you leaned against the tree, his hair messy and eyes wide.

"I told you not to use your power unless we talked about it first," he said, beginning to pace and tearing his hands through his hair. "You could've gotten hurt, or worse-"

"Five, stop," you said, stepping forward and catching his hand after tucking the monocle back into your pocket. "I'm okay. Calm down."

He sighed heavily, his jaw tensing as he stared down at your intertwined hands.

"We didn't get the briefcase."

"What?" you burst, your eyebrows pulling together. The sudden sound of cheering distracted you, and Luther turned his head, waving you over to the fence. Five stood on another briefcase he appeared to have with him, helping you up when you couldn't see over it either.

"It's Kennedy," you breathed, watching the car wind along the street amidst the crowd.. "He's turning. Allison, Diego, and Klaus fixed the timeline. If everything goes right..."

"Kennedy gets shot," Five finished solemnly when you couldn't.

"Look," Luther said, pointing to a man under a black umbrella. "There's Dad. What do we do?"

"Ahh..." Five muttered as Luther cursed. "Diego-"

"That piece of shit," you said, watching as your brother tore across the grassy field toward your father. He tackled him to the ground, only to turn in shock when gunshots rang out across the gathering. People shrieked and ran as the entourage of vehicles sped off, while the three of you watched with wide eyes.

Looking away finally, you stepped off of the suitcase with Five, taking the sleeve of your dress and wiping sweat off of his face.

He looked down, frowning.

"Cheer up," you said softly, trying to forget what you had just witnessed. "Vanya didn't blow the world up. Her and the rest of our siblings are safe. We should find them."

"They likely returned to Elliott's," Five said.

Elliott, who is dead. Just like Grace, Ben, Patch, Hazel, Pogo... the list goes on.

You cleared your throat in an attempt to shake the memories away.

"Let's go find them, then," you said, looking up at Luther, who was still silent. He sighed heavily, reaching down to rest a hand on your shoulder, probably trying to be comforting.