Useful as a Pan of Rocks

A few hours after the man, who Five now knew to be 'Elliott', pointed him in Diego's direction, he left the psych ward confidently after alerting the guards to the fact that Diego was trying to escape. He would be back for his brother later - for now, he had to focus on finding (Y/N).

As he sauntered into the street, he noticed a patrol car going by, "Dallas County Sheriff" painted on the side. He hurried over, knocking on the window and causing the car to roll to a stop.

"What is it, kid?" a tan man asked as he rolled down the window, looking at Five with disinterest.

"I was wondering if you have recently interrogated a young lady at the hospital," Five said through gritted teeth, annoyed that this man, who was probably his same age, had called him a 'kid'.

"What does it matter?" he asked suspiciously, peering at Five from under his cowboy hat.

"I'm an old friend of hers," Five answered, tucking his hands in his pockets. "Now. Where did she go?"

A few minutes later, Five had hitched a ride with a stranger.

"To 'The Brown's Inn', please," he said, reciting what the sheriff had told him. The woman glanced over at him with a smile.

"Does your family live there?" she asked pleasantly.

"You could say that," he responded, before turning to look out the window in hopes that she would be silent.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

Considerably happier after deciding to focus on the inn rather than your family earlier that day, you headed to the barn to train with Mark and Colleen. Mark had been teaching you how to throw knives lately, at your request. It made you feel closer to Diego, in an odd way.

"Why are you helping me with this?" you couldn't help but ask Colleen as you climbed to the loft.

She sighed contentedly, tucking a flower behind your ear.

"Because I always wanted a sister. And your powers are interesting," she added with a smile. "It's a distraction from boring, everyday life."

You tilted your head, confused.

"But you seem so happy all the time."

"Happy doesn't mean not bored," she said, waving at Mark as he began to climb the ladder. "I love my family and my home, but it's not exactly the most exciting lifestyle."

You bit your lip, leaning back on your hands.

"I think it's perfect."

Colleen tilted her head and began to speak, but then you heard a noise from outside - a sort of zapping sound, one that immediately made you stumble to your feet.

"What was that?" Mark asked suspiciously, descending back to the ground, and you followed hurriedly.

"Stay in here," you commanded, heart racing. "I mean it. I've got this." The two siblings glanced at each other, unsure, before shrugging. You raced to the barn doors, walking outside into the sun.

There he stood on the front porch of the inn, peering through the window. A million memories flooded back - his face. You could remember his face.

And his name... sort of.

Five.

You walked as quickly as you could to reach him, longing to see his face rather than just the back of his head. To hold his hand, touch his face, anything. He turned around at the last second, his eyes widening in recognition.