I'm Going to Go Insane

"Found it," you announced a few minutes later after Elliott directed you to the phonebook's location. "'Greater Dallas'. Huh."

You dropped it on the table, and the two boys crowded around it, blocking you.

"Let's start simple," Five suggested as Diego began desperately flipping through the pages. "His name." You pushed Five out of the way and he sighed, sliding his hands into his pockets.

"Hargreeves... Hargreeves... Hargreeves..." Diego muttered, scanning the H's. "Shit. Nothing here."

"Try his company."

"D.S. Umbrella Manufacturing Co.," you added helpfully, and Diego slowly turned to glare at you.

"Yeah. I know the name. Thanks," he said sarcastically, and you rolled your eyes as he turned some more pages. "Uhh... holy shit. D.S. Umbrella. 82 Olive." He tapped the paper where the address was listed, and the three of you stared down at it. "Let's go."

You left the kitchen, heading for the stairs as Elliott shouted incoherently through his gag.

"We should let him go," you said, glancing back at him.

"No, he's fine," Five responded, waving it off. "But what about the girl?"

All three of you turned around and realized that she was nowhere to be seen.

"Shit," Diego muttered before turning to find her.

"Should we...?"

"He's got this," Five said, staring after him suspiciously. "I don't trust that girl."

You turned to face him, frowning.

"Why not?"

"She's too involved," he said slowly. "If she had really escaped from the asylum, she would have disappeared by now. But she's sticking around, and I don't like it."

"Come on," you said, reaching out to take his hand. He turned his head away from the kitchen, his eyes softening when they met yours. "Can't you tell? Her and Diego like each other. This is a good thing. It might help Diego move on from..." You hesitated before saying her name. "From Detective Patch."

"You're still upset about that, huh?" Five asked, his thumb tracing over the back of your hand and making your stomach flutter.

"I don't know. Klaus just seemed to move on so easily, you know? Like, she saved our lives, and died in the process." You shrugged, looking away. "I think it's something I have to be upset about, otherwise I'll just feel worse. She might not have been a big part of my life, but she died to help me and Klaus. It's my responsibility to remember her." When Five was silent, your face grew hot. "Maybe it makes no sense. Whatever."

"No. (Y/N), look at me." When you did, he had a small smile on his face as he gazed at you. "I love this about you. That while though the rest of our siblings, including myself, numbed their feelings, you never did."

"What do you mean?" you asked, biting your lip.

"I mean, take Klaus, for example. He gets high for a living. Moves on from death pretty quickly unless it's someone close to him. Or... Vanya. She locked up her emotions until they ultimately caused the end of the world." His free hand moved to your cheek, and you leaned your head into it. "You care about people, (Y/N). And you let it show."

You opened your mouth to say something, but then Diego reappeared and you quickly stepped back.

"Right, let's go," he said, and you couldn't help but glance sidelong at him. He seemed... happy. Genuinely. For the first time in a while.