Wattpad Original
There are 27 more free parts

Chapter Twenty

I send the boys to the beach with Brooks like planned, and head straight for Zoe's

As I drive, my mind races and all I can focus on are those unanswered texts. Did she not answer because something was wrong? Is she hurt? Kidnapped? Being held hostage? 

Why didn't I check on her hours ago? I should have sensed something, and maybe if Gwen wasn't lurking around playing her stupid games, I would have. 

Ruiz insisted that Zoe was fine and that the break in was nothing more than a bunch of teenagers wreaking havoc in the neighborhood, but I know won't be satisfied until I've got my hands on her. They left at nearly midnight and a lot could happen between then and now. 

When I pull up in front of her house, she's teetering off the top rung of a ladder with some type of power tool in her hand. Even in her precarious situation, relief floods me. She's okay. 

As I get closer, I realize she's got a drill and she's trying to attach something to the side of her house without much luck. One gust of wind will send her tumbling to the ground, but she doesn't seem the least bit scared. Looks like I'm not the only one with an invisible streak.

"Damn." Zoe grimaces as the drill clamors to the ground.

"Looks like you could use some help." I offer her my hand as she climbs off the rickety, old ladder.

"Yeah, so much for easy install." Zoe rolls her eyes and wipes a bead of sweat off of her forehead. A smile pulls across her lips as she steps closer to me and interlaces her fingers in mine.  

My lips crash into hers in a desperate kiss. Every time I get a taste of her, all I can think about is more, and by now the pull between us is almost unbearable. But as I wrap my arms around her, it's not just desire that I'm feeling. It's relief, too. Knowing she's safe settles me a bit, and all at once, I'm hyper aware of my feelings for her. The thought of her in danger debilitated me, and as I hold her against my chest, I'm almost overcome with emotion. It's clear how much I already care about her, and after this, there's no more down playing it.

"One of the officers came by the station and told me what happened. You should have called me." Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, I cling to the peace I feel in this moment.

"I didn't want to make a big deal out of it with Gwen there." Zoe presses her lips into firm line. "The police think it was nothing, and I'm sure they're right. It just got me thinking that I live so close to the boardwalk and people pass by all day and I should probably have some better security."

"The cameras." I pick up the one that fell to the ground earlier.

Zoe nods. "I've heard even just having the cameras up prevents like seventy percent of crime."

"I think it's a great idea. We had some guys tagging the back of the station a few months back, so I know a few tricks to get them to stay." 

A car backfires in the distance and Zoe jumps, immediately on edge. Something has got her really worried and it's obvious she doesn't believe the officer's dismissive explanation. "Zoe, I'm happy to help, but I'm most concerned with how you're doing. You seem kind of..."