Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

Chapter Twenty One

Zoe

Zoe

I love my job. I love my job. I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.

As I make the walk from the parking lot to the zoo's employee entrance, I repeat this to myself at least a thousand times. Most days, I don't need reminding, but most days, my ex-fiance isn't due for his first day of work as my new coworker.

My head knows I need to get over it, but my heart isn't exactly on the same page. Our history still stings more than I want to admit, and the visual reminder of it every single day won't exactly help. It doesn't matter, though. I was the one who agreed to work with him, and for the sake of the animals, I'd make it work.

The zoo is enchanting at this time of day. There is a brisk chill in the air that whispers the coming of fall, and the only thing you can hear are the sounds of the animals as they communicate back and forth. The birds are chirping, the monkeys howling, and the hippos and rhinos are locked in a heated grunting match. It's like a special jungle song and can make you forget you're in the big city.

From the other side of the zoo, I can hear Miko, and it makes me smile. He's always been vocal, and he knows it's time to eat. I swear, he's better than any alarm clock I've ever had, and I quicken my step as the other lions join in his choir. Even though I'm running a little late, I'm the first trainer here like usual, and aside from the deafening protests of the starving cats, it's pretty quiet around here.

The morning's food has been delivered though, and I'm sure that's what's got Miko and the other lions in an uproar. The smell is like torture.

"Alright, alright." I yell over my shoulder as I toss my bag into a locker. Behind me, I can see Evangeline and Annie pacing at the front of their enclosure. They're not happy with my tardiness, either. "Just give me one minute and you'll all get fed."

"Where can I help?"

Oh, god. Already? The sound of his voice makes me cringe, but I do my best not to show it and busy myself behind the counter.

"Uh, you can take those two bins and slide them into the far left enclosure. The girls are the most impatient."

An impossibly charming grin flashes across Zane's lips. "Sounds about right."

I glare at him, not amused by his joke and even less amused that he's got the nerve to look at me that way. I've seen that grin before and it had an embarrassing hold on me, but I won't fall for it this time. It's just as fake as he is and I'm a completely different person this time around. My mom used to have a saying—you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Sounds about right.

Zane chuckles to himself and grabs the food bins. I watch as he slides them into the slots with ease, and it irritates me how comfortable he already seems here. This is my world—why am I the one feeling anxious?

After a few minutes, we've got all the lions fed and the rest of the staff arrive. For now, it's calm and settled. Fridays are usually one of our busier days and, with summer wrapping up, I'm sure today will be no exception. Any minute now, hoards of families and camp groups and tourists will come flooding through the gates.