Wattpad Original
There are 21 more free parts

Chapter Twenty Six

You really can't make bullshit like this up

Under regular circumstances, a man could enjoy two women edging each other out in a bidding war to win a date with him. But not in these circumstances. Not when one woman is constantly trying out new ways to ruin your life. Not when one woman is my ex-wife, and the other is my current girlfriend.

Once the auction is over, a few donors want to stop and chat, but I can't get out of this place and away from the noise fast enough.

"Well, I guess you can't win 'em all..." Zoe shoots me a sweet smile, shrugging her shoulders as I get back to the table. She's being a good sport about the entire thing, but I can tell something is off.

Of course, it is. After Gwen's performance tonight, I don't blame Zoe for being one bit guarded. I think on the scale of nightmare exes, this might take the cake.

"Well, the joke's on her," Brooks chimes in. "You're the one he's with in real life, and she just spent five thousand dollars on a hypothetical date with the guy she walked out on years ago."

"Yeah, just let her throw her money around. She'll get bored and leave, eventually." Riggs slaps me on the back.

They're trying to help but, somehow, their words aren't all that comforting.

"Let's not let it ruin the night." Zoe puts her hand to my cheek. "You were great out there. You all were. That was way more fun than I expected."

"I'll admit, it wasn't as bad as it's been in the past. Who's up for some shots on the roof? I'm buying!" Brooks and his girlfriend lead the group to the elevators, ready for the second half of their night.

Riggs rolls his eyes. "Shots on the roof? That sounds safe. I've got the babysitter until eleven, though, so count me in."

"We'll meet you up there, too." Coop says.

"What do you think?" I tuck a piece of hair behind Zoe's ear, my thumb brushing across her cheek. "We can go join them, or we can get out of here and see how fast I can make you forget about all the bullshit tonight?"

"You tell me." She smiles. "This is your night."

A cool as it is to see Zoe getting along so well with my friends, I've got other plans tonight and all I can think about is getting her out of here. Gwen's antics aren't my fault, but I'm looking forward to making it up to her. "Well, I know what I want to do..."

"Oh good, because that's what I want to do, too." A smile settles on Zoe's lips.

That's all the confirmation I need, and I take her hand, stepping into a separate elevator from the group. It's been fun, but my sights are set elsewhere. As we wait for the valet to bring my truck around, I hear a familiar laugh behind me and I immediately know it's Gwen.

Jesus Christ. Does she ever quit? If I didn't know her as well as I do, I'd think she was actually trying to make an effort here, but it's just about the chase.