Wattpad Original
There are 39 more free parts

Chapter Eight

I'm a wreck

I'm a wreck.

Now, even hours after leaving Zoe, my heart races and my head is so high up in the clouds I can hardly focus on the menu or what Brooks and Riggs are rambling about across the table from me. Something about the Chiefs game? Honestly, I couldn't care less because all I want to do is replay those few hours in my mind over and over again.

The sound of her infectious laughter. The light in her eyes as she talked about her work. The way she'd brush her hair behind her ear and blush every time I smiled at her. Blue dress hanging on her merciless curves, painted red lips curled up in a heart-stopping grin, nude high heels dangling off of her foot. The conversation was fun and easy, and the chemistry between us was explosive.

And Jesus, when I helped her put that microphone on... it was literally painful to walk away. I had to spend the entire interview hiding my erection, and acting like Zoe didn't have as hot and bothered as she did. I was sweating bullets the entire time Maureen spoke, just thinking about how incredible Zoe felt in my hands. Thinking about how I wanted to trace them along every inch of her. Thinking about the gentle shiver that fell over her at my touch. She felt it, too, and I've been cursing myself for not pushing it farther. Zoe's addicting, and I'm desperate for a fix.

Its almost embarrassing how hard I'm falling for this girl after such a short time, but Zoe's different. Especially from all the uniform chasers I've dated recently. She's got her own thing going and none of the noise or notoriety around me phase her. In fact, she's refreshingly unimpressed by the firefighter thing. She's younger than I am, smart as a whip, and if we're being honest, probably way out of my league. And if she has any sense at all, she'll realize that soon.

But I've never met a challenge I didn't like, and Zoe's no different. All I need is a little time to convince her to give me a chance, and if I can do that, I'll have her falling just as hard as I am.

This thing with Zoe...it's reckless. Dangerous. Irresponsible. Luckily, that's basically my brand.

"Yo!" Brooks slaps the back of my head. "Are you gonna order?"

A waitress stands next to our table, and she's already annoyed, clicking her pen and shooting me an impatient glare. She looks like she'd rather be anywhere else, and I don't blame her. It's the height of summer season and the beach is crawling with tourists. It took us nearly an hour to get this spot in the bar, and we've been yelling all night just we can hear each other over the noise.

"Uh, a Jack and Coke." I pass the menu back to her and she heads back to the bar.

"Boys with your parents tonight?" Riggs asks, slugging back a glass of water.

I shake my head. "No, Gwen came into town this afternoon and wanted to spend some time with them. I guess she's only here for a few days so we rearranged some things. They're bowling tonight."

Gwen's visits are kind of like a hurricane. Not much warning, absolute hell for about twenty-four hours, and I'm left picking up the pieces for the boys for the next several weeks.