Wattpad Original
There are 33 more free parts

Chapter Fourteen

"What's your day like?" Tanner voices floats through the other end of the line as I fly out the front door, nearly tumbling down the front steps as I rush to my car

"What's your day like?" Tanner voices floats through the other end of the line as I fly out the front door, nearly tumbling down the front steps as I rush to my car. Coffee sloshing in all directions, make-up half done, and sweat already beading down my back. I'm a literal hot mess and if I wasn't in such a panic, I might have found it funny.

I'm running late. Like really late. And I couldn't have picked a worse day for it.

I started the morning with plenty of time, sipping my coffee on the balcony as I watched the tide roll in and then back out. I even had time to take Honey for a walk before hopping in the shower.

But then my sister called, and wanted to know how my date went. At first, I struggled to find the right words to describe how incredible it was, but once I started talking, every magical detail spilled out, and suddenly I was forty-five minutes behind schedule.

Not that I regret it. I'm up for any excuse to relive that night over and over again, and in fact, that's all I've been doing since he left me needy and breathless on my front porch. It's been two days and I haven't stopped thinking about Tanner for a more than a few moments at a time.

When he pushed me up against the door and kissed me, it was like something right out of a movie. Rain pouring all around us, thundering rumbling in the clouds and in my chest, a dim glow coming from the porch light.

Tanner's eyes traced my lips as if he was memorizing each gentle curve, and when he leaned in, our noses brushed against each other. It was slow at first, and then everything was happening at once. His lips crashing into mine. His fingers tangled in my hair. Our bodies pressed together like they were designed just for this very moment. He kissed me like he meant it, with a fierce, intimate determination that swept me right off of my feet. It was disorienting, overwhelming, intoxicating, and I wasn't sure if I was drunk off of his kiss or the sweet cinnamon honey still fresh on his tongue. He lingered a few extra seconds, hovering above me hungry for more. My body ached as he held me in those strong arms and it was like nothing else existed in the entire world.

Tanner is supposed to put out fires, but he's like gasoline to the one inside of me.

"Pretty busy, actually." I throw my car into reverse, and head toward the zoo. If I hadn't taken his call right after my sister and gotten sidetracked, I might have been able to get to work on time, but, after a few days of not being able to talk to him, I wanted to hear his voice.

"We're interviewing a few new vets for the cardiology program."

Which is why it's so bad that I'm running this late. It's not only Michael who will be annoyed with my tardiness, but the entire board and all kinds of zoo donors are coming.

"Wow, sounds intense." His voice is low and bit hoarse, like he didn't get much sleep. He's right in the middle of a forty-eight-hour shift and we haven't gotten to talk much.

"More like boring. I'll be stuck in admin all day instead of working with the animals." I already dread it. I hate this kind of thing, and even though I'm glad they want my opinion on the new vet, I'd much rather be with Miko and the other lions.