| emergency |

you sat on the edge of a hospital bed, your legs dangling off the side as the doctor told you the severity of your injury. you looked down at the cast on your ankle and sighed. "-can go home." the doctor finished. you smiled at him. "thanks." the doctor nodded and left the room, leaving you alone.

you looked around at the bland room, each wall the exact boring colour of an off-white, a large window on one of the walls and a small tv hung up in the corner of the room. a loud bang interrupted your silence, making you jump and almost fall of the bed. you turned your head in the direction of the noise and saw someone standing in the door frame. you didn't realise who it was at first but it didn't take long to figure out. it was your ex-boyfriend, steve harrington. your eyes widened and you were suddenly interested about the boring off-white walls.

to say steve was worried about you would be an understatement. he was at work when he got the phone call. robin had answered and given it to steve when she was told it was for him. steve was surprised at first. he doesn't usually get calls during work, especially not from his mother. the hospital had called his home and his mum was the only one home. "y/n's in the hospital." she told him, sounding sympathetic. steve's heart sank. he hung up the phone after that. he hastily repeated what his mother told him to robin as he left family video. everything after that was a blur. he grabbed his car keys and almost dropped them by how fast he got them out of his pocket. he also ran every red light that tried to stop him and most definitely went over the speed limit.

now he was standing beside your bed, arms crossed as he looked you over in concern. his eyebrows were creased and the only emotion on his face was worry. "i'm fine." you assured him. "you don't have to stay." you moved around in the bed, ready to step off until you saw steve's expression change. he was now looking at you like you were crazy. "what're you doing?" he asked, placing his hand on your shoulder to stop you getting up. "leaving?" you replied. you tried not to pay much attention to his hand on your shoulder. it didn't mean anything.

the worry quickly returned to his face. "you can't go home." he told you. "i'm sorry, did i miss the day you got your phd in medicine, doctor steve?" you snapped. steve rolled his eyes and removed his hand from your shoulder. you couldn't help but get a little sad when he removed it. "i'm only trying to look out for you, y/n." he told you. his voice was soft and gentle, just like you remembered.

you ran a hand down your face and sighed. "sorry." you apologised. you looked at him and this is when you realised his uniform. the vest and the orange name tag. "were you at work?" you asked, manoeuvring yourself to get comfortable.

steve looked down at the vest. "what gave it away?" he joked. you smiled. steve missed that. robin has been stuck listening to him ramble on about how much he missed you. "how did they call you at work?" you questioned. "they didn't. it was, uh, my mom." he answered. "your mom?" you were shocked. "yeah. best thing she's done in years." he chuckled slightly.

you looked down at the floor. "you shouldn't have left your work." you told him, refusing to look up. "hey, don't worry about my work." he assured you. steve rubbed his hand up and your arm soothingly. "it doesn't matter if i was at work or not. i would've came either way." he assured you.

"they shouldn't have called you." you replied, too embarrassed to look up at him. "i forgot you were my emergency contact. i'm sorry. i was gonna change it and then this happened and then-"

"i don't mind, y/n."

"i'm bothering you. i don't want to bother you."