Part 37 ~ Fake Smiles

I make my way outside to the patio. I breathe in and try to calm down. The conversation with Bill is weighing heavy on my shoulders. I will not let him keep talking to me this way. I'm sure about Megan . . and there is nothing he can say or do that will change my mind.

"Michael" 

I turn around. Megan comes walking out to the patio. Bill follows right behind her. "Michael what's going on?" Bill puts his hand on her shoulder. "I don't think it's a great idea for you to be talking to Michael right now . . he's pretty upset"

I take in a deep breath before answering. "I am upset but definitely not with her!" I yell, hearing my voice break a little. Megan and Bill look at each other for a split second. I turn back around and focus on a tree that's right in front of me, reaching above my patio. "Michael, I understand that you're upset but let's face it - I care for you - I look after you"

I remain silent. A moment later I hear the patio door open and close, hoping it was him leaving. But unfortunately, it was Megan who left the patio. Bill takes a seat behind me. "I don't know what you're still doing here Bill, I'm visibly upset and I don't care for the things you're saying right now"

"I know that you're upset but there's one thing I need you to hear, despite your anger"

I remain silent.

"Megan may be a part of your life, as hard as it is for me to understand, but she's still a fan"

. . . . .

"She's my girlfriend for crying out loud! why do you keep doing this? She's my girlfriend, my GIRLFRIEND . . alright?! . . I am in love with her and we're a couple. She's not a fan, nor has she ever been a fan. I met her as my therapist and now we're a couple. It's as simply as that and if you keep doing this - I might have to let you go. I mean that"

"Michael, you say a lot of things lately that, to me at least, sound crazy. Take a deep breath, calm down and we can discuss this calmly without you having to make a hasty decision that you will regret later"

"I definitely won't regret my decision, Bill"

"You're upset, which I totally understand-"

"No, Bill, you don't understand anything! every word you've said so far today makes me not wanna talk to you ever again. I have a right to fire you and you know that!"

"I do know that but we both know this is not what you want to do . . look at me, Michael . . is this really want you want to do? over a girl? over a girl who will most likely ruin your whole career and . . your life?"

"LEAVE!"

"Michael-"

"No, I said LEAVE! NOW!"

~ Megan's point of view ~

I do not want to go back out there but looking at them, they're not having the most pleasant conversation and I want to know what's going on. Bill is driving me absolutely nuts. Michael storms inside, Bill following right behind him.

"Michael, let's discuss this-"

"NO! I just fired you. I will write you a check and mail it to you"

Bill looks at me. I look at him. Then he leaves without saying another word. Michael takes a seat, shaking a little. I slowly take a seat right next to him. "Are you ok? wanna talk to me"? He looks at  me, forcing a little smile. "I'm alright, don't you worry about a thing"

________________________________

It's been days since Michael and I saw each other last. We are in touch via video calls and texts but he's been really busy lately doing work and also finding a new bodyguard. Bill has been with Michael for such a long time, I can see how this is hard for him to do . . but it means so much to me that he's standing up for himself. Bill has no right to dictate Michael's life for him.