~11~

As we sped off into the night once more, Jimin introduced me to the world of the fast and furious. This particular type of race was, to put simply, a matter of life and death. You win and survive, or you lose and worse comes to worst ,you die. It was a fight for survival in the middle of nowhere without any rules or restrictions.

"So let me get this straight, you're gonna drive and I need to shoot anyone who gets too close?" I asked, feeling a little excited and outwardly showing it. Jimin nodded. "It's that simple."

I started to think it over. Would it actually be that easy? I hadn't shot a gun in a while, especially in a high speed car. I felt pressure, since it was now dawning on me I had to prove what I was capable of. There was also the fact that there was now the possibility that one of us could die in this venture.

"Don't feel too pressured to kill anyone, but like I mentioned, it's not against the rules." Jimin added casually. "That being said, I expect almost everyone to start coming after us as soon as the race starts." I turned to him, and he looked serious, his eyes narrowed slightly as he spoke. "They won't go easy on you just because you're with me. In fact, they will probably try harder, to kill us both."

I was surprised to hear him say this, and I didn't get it. If what Jin told me earlier was true... "I don't get it, is it because of me? Or because of your status?" Jimin turned his head towards me, "Oh? And what is my status?" Jimin's seriousness melted away as a sly smile crept on his face. "Ugh. Don't make me say it. Anyway, wouldn't killing you come with consequences?"

"I knew Jin wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut for long." he shook his head, "To answer your question though, the kind of criminals out here are the definition of stupid and reckless because they have nothing to lose. Status and fame mean everything to these guys. Win this race by any means necessary, deal with consequences later, as long as everyone thinks they're worthy to be at the top." I just sat there in silence, wondering if he was describing the people we were going up against, or himself.

"So you're at the top because you were once stupid and reckless?" I asked, and he gave me the side eye. "Yes, as a matter of fact. Seems it takes one to know one." I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "You know, there are guns in the back seat." I challenged.

He made a scoffing sound of his own. "Is that a threat or a promise?" When I tripped over my words,  he continued, "You didn't try to shoot me when you first opened the trunk, or when we put them back there." he said, nodding his head towards the back. "If you were going to try anything, you would have done it by now."

Yeah, he got me there. I remember considering it when we were transferring the guns from the trunk to the backseat, I could have done it. But at what cost? Might as well sign my own death warrant, with how fast the others would track me down. I would be on the run, until they caught me, but what else was new? I've been on the run since I was nine. Ever since...

"We're almost there. Whatever's in your head, I need you to clear it, and focus for a minute. The start of the race is the most dangerous part." Jimin sternly said. I could start to see a row of cars, around 20 or so, smoke coming out of their exhausts and lighting up the endless darkness and stretch of road in front of them with their headlights.

I swallowed, feeling anxious seeing how many cars there were, but I tried to steady my breathing. Jimin's grip on the wheel tightened as he pulled up to an empty spot, in between a metallic purple sports car and a mustard yellow convertible with tinted windows.

Jimin looked at me, and then I looked right back at him. His eyes were dark, but it was thrilling to look into them. My insides were dancing and my heart raced as neither of us looked away. That's when it hit me, like a ton of bricks, what this was really about. Why he brought me here.