Chapter 38 - The wolf in sheep's clothing

I feel like my entire world is upside down.

Since I realized a few days ago that I actually have more feelings for Bennett than I thought, things have been different.

Well, not only that, but I was actually planning on talking to Bennett about all of this, but then saw him and Nancy - I finally know her name now - talking on Monday and an entire story went through my mind.

I couldn't hear them, but I think they were saying how much they enjoyed going out and were planning a second date, where they would kiss again. In fact, they will probably go to an empty classroom to spend time together, because they can't wait for the weekend.

Argh, this makes me sick.

I can't take his kiss with Nancy out of my mind. Whenever I think about what I saw and pictures of them are back on my mind, I give up even more this stupid idea of talking to him because well, if it's not true that he likes me, I would be mortified. Also devastated.

Not to mention that it's not like I want to ask him what happened with Kate because last time I checked, they were still together. At least it's what he said in the college fair, right?

I don't know, I have a very creative mind and I have no idea how to deal with the million scenarios I'm creating. Maybe I should be a writer.

Apart from that confusion in my head, I have to tell you that Dylan and I actually talked after that day when I broke up with him. It was completely different from what I expected, to be honest. I thought he was going to be cocky like "you're the one missing out", but no.

He was kind and nice and it made things harder for me.

"How have you been?" Dylan asked me after he ordered us some burgers. He asked if we could talk at the local diner while having dinner and although I hesitated at first, because I didn't want him to think it was a date, I ended up agreeing to it.

In which alternative universe I would consider saying no to a date with Dylan?! I must have lost my mind.

Not being his girlfriend for the past few days felt weird. Not only you're tired of me saying that dating him is what I expected my whole life, but we actually dated for many months, so I guess I got used to it.

I had time to think. I do miss him, even if I realized I don't love him, he's still important to me.

Anyway, I looked at those expectant blue eyes and I couldn't help but think that he looked gorgeous. He has always been good looking, I'll give him that.

"I'm fine. Busy with school. The play is next week and I can't wait for school to be over." He nodded and waited for me to continue. I was waiting for him to make a comment about him, like how he's busy too, or how was when he was the star of the school play last year, but he didn't, so I asked. "What about you?"

"I'm ok." That was it. Just ok. Well, I guess he was not ok and it made me feel bad. "I asked you to meet me today because I wanted to apologize."

"What for?" I genuinely asked.

"Everything. I wasn't a good boyfriend. I realize that now and I'm so sorry. These past days made me think about how much I love you and I feel terrible for losing you."

My heart broke inside my chest and I reached for his hand over the table, but I let it go fast enough.

What if this is a mistake? I know I don't love him, but couldn't I actually love this Dylan?

"I don't know what to say, Dylan. I guess I just needed the space to figure things out." He nodded again, looking like a lost puppy.

"I know. I just want to be your friend and prove that I can be different than what I've been. Maybe we can be together again someday." I sighed.