Chapter 45 - What are we going to do?

"Well, young lady, we have a lot to talk about." I nod at my dad's comment.

My mom is looking at me with soft eyes and a tiny smile on her face, making me assume she's not mad at me. We haven't spoken since Bennett and Dylan decided to pull a show and fight at the restaurant, so I don't know what's on their minds.

"I don't know what they told you, but I can explain." I raise my hand, as if defending myself.

''Oh, I know what happened. Denise told me.'' I control myself not to roll my eyes, because like I said, I knew she would tell her. "We want to hear from you though."

We're just back from the sort of disastrous dinner, that ended up actually pretty normally.

I mean, if you consider complete silence to be normal. Dylan and Bennett haven't opened their mouths the entire time after they said sorry to us all, Audrey was beyond confused, Lily, Harris and I kept chatting as if nothing happened, but it was still awkward.

All parents were back to enjoying their dinner on their side of the table, but I could see them looking at us from time to time, I guess to see if the situation was under control.

Let me tell you, it must have been a terrible car ride back home for the Wests.

"I will tell you everything." Well, maybe not everything.

"I believe it will have to wait a little. We have something more important to talk to you." My dad looks serious and I frown. What could be more important than tonight's shit show?

Why do they look so serious? I immediately start picking at my nails, seconds away from biting them.

My mom leaves the room and returns with a big envelope on her hands.

"What is this?" I ask, but deep down I think I know what it is.

"It's the letter from Boston University." Holy freaking shit. Exactly what I thought.

I honestly lost hope at this point and I was ready to go to my second option. I received their letter a while ago, but I wasn't too excited about it.

All I could think was why BU didn't even sent me a rejection letter, they must have hated me so much.

"The mailman messed up the houses and delivered it to the Stevens. They were traveling, so they gave it to me today. We didn't want to give it to you before the play."

I take the paper with trembling hands. I hesitate for a second, because I'll be devastated if it says I didn't get in.

"You know you could have checked their online platform, right?" My dad says and my mom shushes him.

"I did. Many times, but I gave up, what was the point? It was making me too anxious and I was certain they didn't want me."

He shakes his head. "There's no way in hell they wouldn't want you, Alex."

Isn't my dad amazing?

Thinking about it now, it was very stupid of me to stop checking their platform. What if I lost my chance because I'm an idiot?

Unless I got rejected, in that case I don't even want to open the envelope.

I feel I'm improving my self-confidence, but moments like this and I'm back to square one.

"What are you waiting for? Open it." My mom says and I nod, my eyes still on the paper.

I rip the thing off, but still careful not to ruin the letter inside.

I take it from the messed envelope and start reading to myself.

"So? What does it say?" I can barely speak.