Chapter 35

Prom ended, and I walked to Bethany's car with her, sitting in the front next to the steering wheel. I got a ride with her because I didn't know when Lucas would be back, and I wasn't going to stand in front of a restaurant when the Eurasian were after him.

We drove back to her place and I crashed there, because for some reason Lucas wouldn't let me have the key to the apartment…  so I waited with Bethany for a while, but I fell asleep before he showed up.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to a knocking on the door. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, and Bethany approached it and opened it.

"Oh, hey Mr. Trenton." She greeted, and I smiled as I ran over to the door. I was about to hug him, but he seemed… off.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, but he took my hand silently and led me away from the door. "I'll see you later, Bethany."

"See ya." She called as we stepped into the elevator and slowly rose to the thirteenth floor. He was still silent, letting go of my hand.

"Hey, what's going on?" I asked again, standing in front of him and looking into his beautiful eyes. "You can tell me anything."

He shut his eyes as a tear rolled down his face, and I wiped it away. Oh crap, something did happen.

"He's dead." Luca answered finally, his voice trembling. "Bryan's dead."

I brought him into the room and sat him down on the couch, and I wrapped my arms around him just so he could cry. I haven't really seen him cry like this before, but then again I don't know how long they've been partners. By the way he talks about him, they seem like best friends.

~~~~~~~~~~

I had to go to another funeral in about a span of a month. I didn't know the guy, but I stood in the front anyway as they carried to coffin down the path. Lucas was the first behind him, following by some woman and another older guy, but I kept my head down and avoided eye contact. I lifted it when I heard Lucas talking.

"Bryan…" He whimpered into the microphone. "You were the best partner I could ever ask for, and you always had my back, kept me alive… and then you collapsed in my arms as the blood escaped from you… I'm sorry I couldn't save yours." He rubbed his hand over the coffin, letting more tears escape. "At least you had a good run in life."

He sat down and the other people went, the people being his wife and his boss. I needed to talk with the boss, because the fact that they had them going out into the field and getting killed scared me, because it could happen to Lucas easily. But if he is who he claims he is, he was the best spy in California… but now his partner is dead, and even that could ruin the rest of his life…

The funeral ended a short time later and we left. I drove him home this time because he couldn't do it, he was too focused on crying over his partner. But now there was six days until school ended. Hopefully I could keep him together by then…

~~~~~~~~~~

"Two minutes left!" Bethany shrieked as my Choir class was running around like absolute maniacs. It was finally the last week in May, last day of school, the last exam was taken and we were all anxious for school to be let out for Summer, or until I go to College. My last day of grade school, and I honestly felt a little sad. I'd never have to step inside this school again. 

"Well, aren't you happy." I smirked as Bethany ran around with an Alto, chasing each other up and down the risers. Mr. Smith gave up on trying to calm them down and hid in his office, and Lucas was at the piano, getting things ready for Summer. I ran to the piano once the traffic was cleared enough, from all the partying the other girls were doing. Just a minute and a half or something.

"Hey." He greeted as I stapled some stuff together. "I thought you didn't like being staple girl."

"Yeah well, this is the last day I'll ever be staple girl." I sighed as he lifted my head with his hand. He seemed to be better now, or at least wasn't as sad as before. Which was my goal, so I was happy for it.

"Hey, I thought you would be happy you were leaving. We can finally be together out in public without all the hiding." He whispered, and I nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, but… it's the end of high school for me. I had so many good times, and so many memories to hold onto, especially this one." I laughed as I watched one of the girls trip over the risers.

"Yeah, but we'll have our own life together, right? I mean, your Dad is dead, and the Eurasian haven't been doing anything stupid since we destroyed their weapons, and there's no pain coming to either of us." He stated, and I let a smile slip onto my face. I know he was lying because of Bryan, but I let him be happy for now.

"Less than a minute left…" I whispered as he brought me in closer, but nothing that the other girls suspected was weird, or at all noticed.

"Less than a minute until we're free." He whispered as it rang loudly, the ringing sound making everyone scream, and he pulled me in, smashing his lips onto mine. I was no longer his student, so I didn't pull away at all, not like I wanted to either...

"What the hell!?" I heard one of the girls scream as everyone faced us, and they all froze in their place. I pulled away slowly, and as I glanced at everyone, even Mr. Smith had his face dropped at an angle, eyes wide, dropping the papers he had in his hand.

"Didn't see that coming." Mr. Smith shook his head as he picked up his papers and sat down on the risers. "When were you going to explain this to me, guys?"

"Never." Lucas answered, and all the girls either awed or made disgusting noises with their throats. "But she's not my student anymore, so I don't care what you guys think."

"You two have always been crazy." Mr. Smith told us, and I shrugged. We were, I'll admit it.

"Yeah, but I like being crazy together." He smiled as he held my hands in his, gazing into my eyes, and I saw his chocolate-colored eyes that have always been the same, the one thing that made me fall in love with him in the first place, the thing that made me go and meet him. "And now, I want to be crazy with her forever." He breathed as he bent down on one knee, and I took a step back in surprise, but he pulled out the small box and held it in front of him. "I love you, Cindy. I have for a long time. It was just hard to show you." He opened the box with his fingers, showing the white-jeweled ring that sparkled as the light hit it. "Will you marry me?"

The girls all gasped, shrieked, or awed, and Mr. Smith was the most confused out of all. But I happily nodded my head, and he pushed the ring onto my finger, bringing me in once more. The clapping went off in the background, but I was focused on him, my fiancé, the one I was going to spend the rest of my life with… who was also a spy my assistant Choir teacher.