Chapter 11

"Okay ladies, you're going to do great, just keep calm and sing!" Mr. Smith told us as he left for the cafeteria where the stage was, leaving all the Choir girls and Lucas in the Choir room. It was now Friday, night of the concert, halfway through October. I was scared half to death, because Bethany got sick.

And the solo got transferred to me.

"Do you wanna go over it one more time?" Lucas asked, but I shook my head.

"No, I'm fine." I assured him, but my expression couldn't have been showing the same thing.

"You look like you're about to pass out." He stated, making me cups my hands around my face.

"You're not helping!" I shrieked, and he backed off.

"Sorry, sorry…" He muttered, playing some chords on the piano. "Why are you so freaked out?"

"Because the last solo I got I completely missed six words." I answered, and the whole memory came rushing back. I couldn't listen to the song anymore, it was that bad. All it reminded me of was that horrible night…

"Relax, you'll be fine." He assured me as the lady working the show came into the room.

"Hey, you're on in five." She told us, and we all got in a line by the door.

"Okay ladies, we've worked so hard for this. After you sing, you can leave, or stay for the instrumental crap, I don't really care. But let your voice be your instrument, and strum it beautifully. And remember to have fun! This is a concert, after all." Lucas told all of us.

"Yeah, easy for you to say!" One of the girls in the Alto section yelled, and he just laughed. I just stood there and fixed my long, black Choir dress nervously. Nobody was helping at all.

"Yeah, but come on. We gotta line up." He told us and we all hurried to get to the front of the building where the stage was, and as I took a glimpse at the audience, I freaked. There were so many people!

But as I walked onto the stage and grabbed the microphone, I felt in power, and felt like I deserved this. Well, I did. And Mr. Smith gave me the thumbs up, and I held it close to my mouth as the music started. And then, just like that, the words rolled off my tongue, into the microphone, and out of the speakers, and into the ears of everyone. And as I put the microphone down to go sing with the Soprano Ones, they all clapped. For me.

For me.

And I felt like I accomplished something.

~~~~~~~~~~

We sang Some Nights and Footloose after, but after that, we all stepped neatly off the risers and ran back to the Choir room. I felt sick to my stomach, like I was going to throw up because of the nervousness, but it never left me.

"Hey, you did great, relax." Lucas assured me as I grabbed my stuff.  "Need a ride?"

"You picked me up." I stated stupidly, and he laughed.

"Okay, come on. I don't wanna stick around." He told me, and I nodded. I didn't want to stick around, either.

"Let's get out before the other Choir kids leave." I told him as we made our way out and into the parking lot. So as all the other girls were changing into their clothes from their Choir dress, I was still stuck in it as he drove me home.

Except, he went past my street.

"Hey, my house was back there." I told him as he laughed.

"I know. You still have that dress you wore earlier?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Yeah… why?" I asked, but he shook his head with a smile.

"You'll see." He laughed as he drove even faster, making me grip the seat.

It took him about a half hour, but he finally pulled up to a night club. Or, it looked like a night club. I'm not sure what it was.

"Okay, go in there, go change, and meet me out on the dance floor." He told me, and I smiled.

"We're finally going dancing?" I asked with hopefulness, and he nodded.

"Yeah, finally." He laughed as I climbed out of the car, taking my bag of clothes and running inside. I changed into my short red dress with strappy black shoes, but I went back to the car to drop my stuff up. I stole his keys so I put them in the car, closing the door and locking it, and then heading back inside.

It's all neon. Then I see the leather booths with people in slutty outfits making out, but I made my way out onto the dance floor where Lucas was. He took my hand and spun me around, almost knocking his glasses off his face. But I pushed them back up and the music changed to another song, but the beat never changed. It stuck at the upbeat jamming music. And everyone was dancing and laughing and having a really good time, and I was probably the youngest one here.

Which meant no kids. Which meant even more fun. And it meant I could hang out with Lucas, on a date, where we weren't teacher and student. We were on a date.

So as the first slow song I hear comes on, I gladly take his hand that's extended out in front of him.

"You really do look beautiful." He told me as he played with the long, red sleeves on my dress. "Why do you try to hide your skin?"

"Cause I don't like it." I stated simply, but he gave me a concerned look back.

"But why? I don't see a reason." He asked as he pulled me closer, and he wrapped one arm around my waist. His breath was in my ear, and I was striving for more of him.

"Let's just dance and have a good night out." I cried softly as he nodded.

"Sounds good to me." He breathed as his other arm found its way to my waist, and I wrapped my arms around his neck, and we stood there, swaying softly with the music. I felt so free during that song, and I was dancing with the one I loved- wait, love? This was love? I've never felt anything like it before.

But as the music stopped, we separated, and our eyes met, but his soft, chocolate eyes made me know it was love.

So as my gaze fell on his lips, I had to reach up and place my lips on his. It was so soft at first, but he deepened it, and one arm was at my waist, one at my back, but our lips were locked together and they couldn't be broken. It proved that he wanted me as much as I wanted him.

And then the music started up again, and we broke apart, but his eyes showed something different, something I couldn't place. But he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as his hand ran over my cheek.

"Damn." He muttered, a smile on his face.

"Yeah?" I asked, a weak smile on mine.

"I don't need to teach you anything about that." He muttered jokingly, and I laughed as our foreheads touched, and we danced again slowly to the music. 

"So, where are we… right now?" I asked, and he looked at me stupidly.

"A night club?" He answered, but I shook my head.

"In the relationship. What do we have?" I asked, because honestly, I didn't know.

"I don't know." He answered, and I sighed. Not the answer I was hoping for. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?" Better response.

"I've been waiting for you to ask me that for a long time." I smiled as his lips were on mine again, and the night was something great to remember. I was his girlfriend. I was my teacher's girlfriend. And I couldn't have been happier.