Chapter 10

Time was flying by. It was already the beginning of October, and it was starting to get cold. Nobody wore short sleeves, the days were becoming shorter, which meant the nights were even longer. I guess it was a good thing, but now the teachers were dishing out more and more homework. Well, all but my Choir teachers. And the Fall concert was in two weeks.

"Okay ladies." Mr. Smith called, slapping his hands together. "We need to pick people for the solos!"

Today was going by so slow, but that immediately picked up my mood. I glanced over at Lucas, who was leaning up against the piano, smiling at the Soprano Ones. Well, smiling at me.

"Who do ya think they're gonna pick?" Bethany asked, leaning over to me.

"I don't know." I answered, but I had the best feeling it was going to be me. Lucas picked the music for me, so he'd get me the solo, right?

"We have our nominees down to Bethany, Cindy, Kristie and Pamela." Mr. Smith told us. I smiled brightly as most of the girls groaned, but one in particular stood up.

"Nominees? Please, it's obviously me." Kristie, the bitch of the class, probably the school, informed him with the whole bitchy sass act. "I have the best voice in the class!"

"Keep telling yourself that." I muttered as she shot me a glare.

"What? Better than yours." She stated, and my jaw dropped in disgust and shock, but most of the girls 'oohed' as Mr. Smith slapped his hands together again.

"Okay girls, settle down. We just need to hear you four again, alright?" He told us, sitting down behind the piano. "Bethany, you first."

"Oh-kay." She stammered, standing up with her sheet music as he started playing. The solo was for the first part of All Star before the chorus, and she knew it, but it kept going off key. She sat down as some people clapped, and Mr. Smith wrote some stuff down on notebook paper before standing up.

"Very nice Bethany." He complimented, but turned towards Lucas. "Mr. Trenton, can you take piano from here? I gotta judge."

"Sure." He answered, sitting down behind the piano. He played a couple chords, but then sat there, waiting for Mr. Smith.

"Okay, Pamela, you turn." He said as a girl from the Alto section stood up, looking nervous as hell. "You ready?"

"Uh-huh." She answered, flipping to the page as Lucas started playing. She missed a few high notes, but she was an Alto. She couldn't help it.

"Cindy, your turn." Mr. Smith said as I stood up without my music. I knew it, so I didn't need music.

"Where's your music, stupid?" Kristie asked me with the stupid sass tone. "Or are you going to be horrible without any help?"

"I don't need it, I have it memorized." I growled at her, but she stuck her middle finger up at me. I was about to lash out, but Lucas started playing the music, so I restrained myself and stood there in good posture like a good girl, no matter how many glares I was getting from her. But all I could do was sing. I sung so loud because I was angry, my eyes on Lucas the whole time. I smiled at the last note as I sat down, proud of myself. I didn't mean to brag, but I thought I did good.

"Is that it?" Kristie asked unimpressed. "You're such a dumbass."

"Nobody asked you." I shot at her.

"Okay, Kristie, your turn. Ready?" He asked as she stood up, all her fat bitchiness following her.

"Sure." She said flirtatiously, waving at Lucas with a flirty smile. Oh, that bitch! "Watch how to sing for real." She told me, glancing at me before turning around with her music. My gaze fell on Lucas, who wasn't his usual Choir self, but actually frowning, glaring at her. He started playing, but he kept changing speeds, making her catch up or slow down or he flat out skipped a section. When  he stopped, he leaned back in the chair in exhaustion, but most of the girls were laughing.