(4) Stares x And x Struggles

|{Picture of sign outside phase 4} AI, DALLE MINI|

(not real kanji, this is an Ai generated image.)

You pondered, thinking of everything since you left. Katsu... Hisoka... You laid down in the grass. It was hot out, and afternoon. You knew though, that as soon as the night came, if would be freezing here. 

You looked up at the unclimbable walls. Only 7 or so people made it up. You looked around. From your estimate, there had to be about 30 or so people in the box still. It had been hours. Most of these people would never make it out, or they'd have to be rescued after the exam. The wind whistled as it caught in the box and swirled within. The wind felt nice in your hair, but it was shortlived. Most of the wind was blocked from getting in. You were W-sitting with your eyes closed. 

You feel a sudden and sharp pain in your neck, a pinch. Sharper... A knife? Too small, whatever. You pull your claws up to your neck in a flash, about to cut them, but you're pushed straight down and dirt is now in your face.

"Like I said, soft. Now I'm thinking.. I would probably win when we fight." Katsu said from above. You growled and pushed yourself up. Of course he thought that. Of course, not if but when. You pushed yourself up.

"What do you want Katsu?" You murmur, massaging the bridge of your nose.

"To fight you. Though, that's not possible right now. So I guess I'm just here to annoy you." He smiled down at you. You stood up, and walked with him to one of the walled edges.

∆×∆

By sunset, two applicants had fallen and not stood back up after attempting to climb the wall.

You sat with Katsu. You both had begun shivering after dark came. The clouds coated the sky thickly with no seams or a single crack to peek at the stars.

"If you're cold, why don't you just transform?" You asked him. No answer. You shrugged. It must've been about him being 'stronger'.

You turned to your four-form. Your fluffy fur kept you toasty for only a few seconds. Someone was yelling. At you.. You turned back to your upright form.

With a few blinks your eyes adjusted. Who was that.. You didn't recognize them, but it was clear that they were angry. The man began full up screaming. Katsu notices but he just watches.

"Who the hell do you people think you are!" He shouts.

Hisoka eyes you in the background.

"I'm sorry, pardon me?" You stood up. A pale, yellow blossom flitted in Katsu's hair. He was ready. Well so were you.

"You heard me idiot. People like you are the reason I'm gonna be a hunter!" He was holding a knife. You eyed him closely.

"And what exactly have I done?" You said calmly.

"You scare children. Think about the incident in Mori-- you'd probably want to do that creep!" You were almost surprised how he hadnt lost his voice yet.

He suddenly lashed at you with fury. His hands swung wildly. He was pretty good for someone with no nen.

You remembered just fine. A rabid were-cat had attacked a 15 year old in Mori when they were walking home one night. They then ate the kid. "Why would I have anything to do with that?" You tried to stay calm but you hated everything about this man already. You almost couldn't hold back. You bit your tongue and stood still, moving as little as you could to block attacks. But he got faster. And rougher. 

You could hardly keep him away. So you gave him your tiger form. Meeting him slash for slash he began to get angry, and again started being wild and the battle was unpredictable. You just wanted to pass the damn exam.