𝙖𝙘𝙩 𝙞𝙭.

act ix.   photo album

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I held her hand in mine, brushing the strands of hair covering her face away.

"Zanshi?", Rose softly called, knocking on the door, with what seemed to be a book in her hand.

Deep breaths, "Come in.", I stated.

Quietly, she closed the door behind her, sitting on the seat in front of me.

I gazed at the book she held, and she seemed to have noticed this. "Oh, this?", she asked, holding the book up. I nodded.

"Well, I was supposed to give this to Nozo when she wakes up, but...", she started, opening the book. "It's a photo album, memories from high school, up to before we knew about it all.", she explained, smiling as she showed me all the pictures.

Pictures that told a small story, happy memories filled each page.

One that stood out to me was a picture in high school, a photo of before I met my old ex-friends. Ah... We looked so happy, so innocent, unknowing of what would happen in the future. Nozomi held me in a tight embrace, hugging from behind. I seemed flushed, and Millie was laughing at us. Rose had a big grin on her face, as if laughing at her sneakily-taken photo. Beside it seemed to be Rose's handwriting, a small note from her dedicated to the picture. "Hehe, Nozomi and Zanshi are so cute together! One day, NoZan's definitely gonna sail. I hope I'll find someone I can be this happy with too! They're gonna be sooo mad when they find out I secretly took a picture of them."

I felt my heart ache. Words couldn't express how much I wanted to bring moments like these back.

Rose gave me a sympathetic smile, "I miss it too.", she said, as if reading my mind.

"Here,", she stated, handing the album over to me. "You can have it."

"Thank you.", I mumbled.

Holding the album tightly in my hands, I took a deep breath, flipping through the pages.

I... haven't been able to sleep in a while.

Closing my eyes, I closed the album, trying to get myself together.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Hey, Zanshi? Will you be alright here by yourself? I have to get back home. Just... call us if you need anything, alright?", the brunette announced, standing up.

I looked at the album on my lap, mustering up the strength to mutter even just a word.

"Alright.", was all I could utter.

She only smiled, before starting to head to the door. Right before she could walk past me, I stretched my hand out to give her the album back.

The girl stared, sighing. "Keep it for as long as you want, you need it more than I do.", she said, before we parted ways, as I could only watch her walk out the door.

I could feel my breathing dampen, the headache only getting worse and worse with each passing second, each time the clock on the wall ticked.

Staring at the heart monitor, it was all I could do.

I shifted my gaze onto her.

With all the strength I had left, I said the following words, barely above a whisper,

"You won't leave, will you?"

I knew she couldn't hear me.

"After everything we went through,"

I held her hand in mine.

"Please..."

After all this time.

Days have passed, Rose would come and visit everyday, telling Nozomi a small, funny memory she remembered, before tearing up, knowing she couldn't hear anything she said. Anne and Millie would visit a few times a week, Anne telling her about some games she'd like to play with her once she was well, along with her and Millie ranting to the recovering girl about their day, and all the funny stuff they'd wish to experience with her again. Ryoto... he was quiet, but would bring her small gifts occasionally. Sometimes, he'd stay overnight with Rose and I, offering to let us rest, and that he'd take care of her for us. Though once, when we left him alone with her, I walked in on him apologising for not helping her when she was injured, and that he hoped to make it up to her someday. It was sweet, and I suppose he saw her as a little sister as well.

"I'm getting tired, I think I'll go home for the day.", Anne bid, standing up. "Me too.", Millie added, yawning.

Ryoto took his bag, "Alright, I'll drive."

"Take care, you three!", Rose bid, waving them goodbye.

Though before Anne could open the door,

"Huh..?"

I was caught off-guard, but immediately recognized the voice.

Nozomi.

"Nozomi! Good morning! Well, uh, afternoon.", I exclaimed, barely being able to keep my excitement and relief in.

Anne immediately ran back to her seat, Millie and Ryoto dropping their bags.

"Oh god you're awake, I'm so happy ahh— I wish I could hug you right now!", Rose excitedly greeted.

Anne went to kneel down to be on Nozomi's level, "Nevermind, I'm not tired, ehe. I'll stay for the night!"

Millie chuckled, "Definitely energised now, I'm staying too!", she bubbled.

Ryoto sighed, relieved. "I was starting to get worried you wouldn't wake up. You're seriously like family to us, I'm never letting anything like that happen again."

Nozomi grinned, seeming just as excited as we were.

"I want a group hug. Hey, when am I getting discharged?", she joked, the mood being lifted.

We did eventually form a group hug, carefully though, as Nozomi still had a blood transfusion bag connected to her.

We were able to mend our relationships back together, and the monochrome-haired girl was getting better and better each day.

From here, everything's only gonna go uphill, I promise.

A second chance was all we needed.