𝙖𝙘𝙩 𝙫𝙞𝙞.

act vii.   lost heart

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Yesterday was fun."

I mumbled to myself, waking up and stretching a bit. I turned to the other side to grab my phone, checking the time.

"Four in the morning...", I mouthed, before getting up.

I put a jacket on, changed into baggy jeans, and took my earphones.

A short walk won't hurt, right?

It's cold at this time of day, just how I like it.

I put the earphones in, scrolling through my playlist whilst walking downstairs.

As I was about to open the door,

"Where do you think you're going?", Anne asked, walking downstairs.

I turned to face her, "Going on a walk.", I replied, "Wanna join me?"

She pondered for a moment, yawning. "Sure, hold on a sec though, let me get my jacket and a drink.", she answered, as I nodded.

The raven-haired girl ran back up to the room we shared with Nozomi, before coming downstairs as she put her jacket on, holding her water bottle.

She placed her phone inside her short's pockets, before I opened the door.

My heart stopped beating for a brief moment.

"You good?", Anne asked, before lightly pushing me to take a look.

We both stood in silence for a moment, just... staring at the...

The throbbing heart on our doormat.

I immediately slammed the door closed, starting to panic.

"What the fuck was that..?", Anne muttered, as if internally begging for me to say that wasn't a heart we just saw.

I backed away from the door a little, "That... Was... Was that a heart?", I mumbled to myself.

"We need to call the cops—", Anne started, pulling out her phone.

"Wait, we aren't even sure if that was actually a human heart. It could be a pig heart or something for all we know!", I argued. After all, the hearts of both species are fairly similar.

Anne huffed, muttering curses under her breath. "So the owner then?", she asked, as I nodded.

She stepped forward, twisting the knob. "What are you doing?", I asked, not necessarily wanting to see that heart again.

"I'm just gonna take a pic of it.", she said. I took a deep breath, "Yeah, like that thing's gonna run away.", I replied, as she only rolled her eyes, opening the door.

Suddenly, she slightly jumped, backing off. I took a look at the doormat to notice the heart wasn't there anymore.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!", I whisper-yelled, not necessarily wanting to wake anyone up. "WHERE THE HELL—", Anne added, cutting herself off, taking deep breaths.

"Bitch you jinxed it.", Anne muttered, locking the door. "Yeah and how the hell was I supposed to know?!", I replied.

"We need to tell someone, seriously. If that thing disappeared by itself, then whoever brought it here is still nearby.", she said.

I took deep breaths, trying to calm down. "But what if it was a prank?", I asked. "I have eyes, Zanshi. I can clearly tell that was a real heart, who the hell would decide to use a real, beating heart to prank a bunch of random people?", she answered, which made me internally panic even more.