Chapter ten

"So are you ready to conquer the world?" asked Albert, in a very enthusiastic way, as he turned away from his desk, towards me and Nick.

"Okay, someone is in a good mood." Nick replied, taking on the mood.

"Yeah. Had a rough day. I just want to get out of here." Albert let out a depressed chuckle, without getting further into it.

So Nick and I accepted that, and we set off. I was walking ahead, a little bit too motivated and ready to take this Frank down. But first we had to drive there in a really bad smelling cap. But after we finally arrived, I got even more excited, and also kind of nervous and scared. And of course, Nick had to notice.

"Are you okay? You know you don't have to come inside. You can wait here." Nick told me, showing me that he's there for me by putting a hand on my shoulder.

"No, no... I might finally find something that's going to tell me what really happened that day. I have to do this. I need to know, now! ... I'm just scared that I'm going to be disappointed." I confessed, lowering my head.

"Oh, Ena. I can't promise you that we'll find anything, but I know for a fact that you will find your peace eventually. Okay? You don't need this here to get over Jack. It might help if we could find something, but it's not necessary. Please don't cling to this, it's just going to make it harder."

I simply nodded, not knowing if I could actually do that. But we then went inside the building anyway. It was not really pretty. It was dirty and there were cracks in the walls. It seemed like no one was actually living there. We walked through a dark hallway, and it gave me the creeps. And then we stood right in front of the door, behind which we might were about to find the answers to everything. I took a deep breath and knocked, but no one answered the door.

"I guess he's not home." Albert observed, almost about to go home again.

"Wait, no, what? No! He has to be. We can't just give up just yet!" I desperately cried out.

"Hey, calm down. Everything is fine." Nick tried to calm me down.

And I knew that I was kind of panicking, but just what I expected had happened. I got disappointed. I couldn't take it; I couldn't accept it.

"No. Nick, nothing is fine." I rambled on.

Before it could escalate any further though, Albert interrupted, trying to get me to understand that there was nothing we could do. "I mean, we can't just walk in someone's home." His voice was so compassionate, nearly hurting as well.

"But what if no one would find out? Please! We could go inside, look around and then we would go again. No one has to know. Please!" I was desperate, and I was about to break apart, tears brimming my eyes.

"We really shouldn't..." Albert's voice still so soft and calming.

"But?" I added to his sentence, as I hoped that he wanted to add it.

"But you should know what happened and if that's your only hope to find out, then I don't want to stay in the way. BUT... no one is going to find out about this. Okay?!" he gave in, making me swipe my tears and jumping up to celebrate.

"Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, Albert. You're the best! Yes!" I was so euphoric that I hugged him. He was surprised, but didn't seem like it bothered him much, as he warmly returned the hug.

"Okay, then." With that Albert broke the hug and pulled out his credit card. I turned to Nick with a questioning look, but he had no idea either what Albert was doing. After just a few minutes though, we realized that Albert was just the smartest and coolest policeman alive. He had opened the door with that card. He gave me a quick look, but I just assured him with a nod, whereupon he walked inside. I was right behind him, Nick in tow.