Chapter two

On Monday I woke up and chose excitement. I wanted to make it feel, like this day could actually be a good one. So I ate something, took a shower, put on some clothes, and grabbed my bag. I decided to walk to the university, because I thought it would do me good, but when I arrived, I was exhausted. It was a little bit too far away from my apartment, so I decided to never do that again, even though it really was nice, but it still would be exhausting, so no.

Nick was doing a carpenter apprenticeship, so I had nobody to talk to, while in lectures. I had Jack, but... I was all alone after he died and it made me sad. But I had to move on.

I sat down and there was still time left, so I checked my phone, when someone started talking to me. "Hey. Aren't you the new girl?"

It was the girl from the café. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, that's me."

She introduced herself as Mona, so I indistinctively told her my name, but of course she already knew since she stood practically next to me as I told it to the old lady at the café.

"I've never noticed you before." she went on. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"No, not at all. Go ahead." I was quite happy that she wanted to sit next to me. Maybe things would actually get better from that moment on. We talked a little bit about what we were doing there and then about the job at the café, till the professor came in and the lecture started.

After two more lectures I walked down the hallway with Mona next to me. "So, where are you headed?"

"I'm going to go home now and then I'll go to the café." I responded with my gaze on my phone as I noticed that Nick had texted me about something stupid that had happened that day at his carpenter apprenticeship.

"Great. I guess I'll see you then." She replied trying to see what I was smiling about.

"Yeah, bye." After I gave her a last, friendly glance, I went home and got ready for work. I was a little bit nervous, but also excited. When I first came there, I just washed some dishes, till I got to work in the front as a waitress. I served some cake and coffee. Nothing exciting, but I had fun with Mona there and I got paid. So, I was satisfied.

"Is this all?" I asked the customer as I packed their pastry in a bag.

"Yes, thank you." is what I got as a reply. This was actually one of the few friendly customers, whereupon I even smiled as I said goodbye to them.

I swept away some crumbs as I expected the next customer. I could hear the bell above the door, so I started with my usual greeting. "Hello, what can I get-..." But this was no ordinary customer. "Collin!"

"Hello." I was looking at a beautiful grin, as beautiful as one I haven't seen in a long time.

"What a coincidence." I told him, but somehow wondering if it really was, by the wide smile on his face. He didn't seem surprised.

"Not really." And there it was.

"What do you mean?" I asked interested.

"Nick told me, you work here now, so I thought I'd drop by."

"You did? Why?" I thought it was kind of weird, because I had just met him for a few minutes and he was already stalking me at my new job, but he seemed so nice that night at the club, so I wanted to hear him out.