Chapter Twenty Nine

A/N:

-I'm so sorry guys. The school year is ending, I promise.

-My grades have been crappy again. It's getting really hard to focus.

-I'm having a lot of trouble with creativity. My poetry has been rough and I can't get a chapter down without feeling stressed. I'm hoping when summer comes, I'll see it's all been stress and everything will be alright.

-Idk I've been crying a lot lately. I've been feeling really insecure and worthless lately. End of the school year blues, I'm hoping.

-I've been talking to someone new. He's a senior. I feel bad because he's not the kind of boy I want to show off. Some of my friends think we're cute, but I know the other ones talk about him and I in a crappy way. He skips school and does drugs and alcohol and is a huge player. I mean we have a few things in common and he's a good kisser and smells nice and is cute and all that good stuff, but I don't hold his hand in the hall and I don't like walking with him because he's not my type at all. We're different and he's a bad influence and all that. I just kinda want him to be my thing I have fun with on the side, you know?

-On a different note, @TakeUs2OneDirection and I have begun an Outsiders fanfiction called "Breezeblocks." First chapter will be published in about a month! I have the authors note for it up already so add it to your libraries, please!

Song Recommendations:

-Kathleen by Catfish and the Bottlemen

-Moving to Neptune by Cruiser

-The Morning by The Weeknd

-Heartache Fetish by Young and Sick

Chapter Twenty Nine

Days In Neverland: 57

I lifted my knuckles, purple and golden with bruises, and pressed the discolored skin to Gale's oak door.

I opened my mouth to call for him, but my voice lurched into my throat and stalled.  Hard.

He's mad at me, I told myself, he's so angry and his emotions are soiled for nothing.  He's been cold toward me for days now.

Finally, I drew back my wrist and slammed my knuckles against the door repeatedly, the knocking more ferocious and pent up with more reclusive ire than I had intended.

I waited a moment.

There was no noise from inside the hut.  No rustling, no shifting of bed sheets, no footsteps growing nearer.

Nothing.

"Gale!" I called, grabbing the door knob and jingling it violently.  "Open up!"  I lifted my left fist and began pounding the side of it against the door.

"Jesus Christ, Andria!"

I stopped pounding abruptly, releasing the door knob and dropping my hands to my sides.  The handle turned and the door was whipped open, pallid daylight spilling inside the hut.  Gale's lips were pulled tight and his jaw clenched, one hand clasping the door knob, one pressed to his stomach stiffly.

"We need to talk," I said calmly.

"Yeah, we do," Gale snapped, snatching my wrist and yanking me inside.  I stumbled over the entrance, staggering inside the dully hollow room.  He let go of me and slammed the door closed, then turned to me, only slivers of yellow light entering through the curtains.

"What's your problem?" I asked him, squatting and sitting down on the end of his bed.

"What's my problem?" Gale asked, standing right in front of me, "I'll tell ya what my problem is.  You.  And Pan.  That's my problem."

I swallowed a lump in my throat and slipped the back of my hands beneath my thighs.  "What...wh-what are you talking about?"

Gale stamped his foot into the ground.  "See!  You're stammering!  Don't play dumb with me, I know you two have been conspiring or something."

I shifted uncomfortably.  "That's not it."

"You're on Pan's side now, aren't you?" Gale accused, "he offered you something if you told us our secrets or plotted against us!"

"Gale, no!" I said.

"Let me finish!" Gale yelled, throwing out a hand toward me, "whatever it is, you should not be talking to Pan! At all!  He's hurt us, and tortured us, and imprisoned us!  For you to go behind my back like that, it hurts!"

I bit my lip, and waited for him to conclude.

"You can't listen to the things Pan promises you," Gale mumbled, his voice beginning to shake, "he's promised all of us things he's failed to deliver.  He's hurt all of us.  Broken all of us..." Gale crouched himself to his knees and shifted toward me, wrapping his arms around my waist and placing his cheek against my legs. "I just don't want you getting hurt too."

And like a pause in the storm, the gentle rain came.

The warmth of his breath tickled my thigh, and a tear rolled down the curve of my legs.

"I'm sorry for screaming at you," Gale whimpered, "I just can't let Pan tear any of us apart."

I watched him sorrowfully, sniffing and clutching me and tear after tear running down my leg from his reddened face.

"I'm sorry, Gale," I tangled my fingers in his curly hair, "but I'm protecting you by doing this.  I'm protecting you by giving Pan company."

"And how's that?" Gale asked bitterly, looking up at me, "how's that protecting me?  How's anything to do with Pan protecting me?"

I shook my head, "you wouldn't understand."

"You wouldn't understand," Gale repeated sourly, leaning away from me. "As if I'm too immature and experienced to not understand."

I glowered at him. "NO, that's not what I said.  Don't twist my words."

"Remember Andria," Gale said, "I've been here longer.  You're newer.  I was under Pan's wrath longer."

"I do get what you're saying," I said, then lifted Gale's chin up with my fingers.  His cheek was slick with tears, his flesh pinking in embarrassment and...anger?  Frustration?  Sour feeling?  "You just don't get what I'm saying."

Gale shook his head and leaned back on his calves, his toes bent into the woodwork of the floor.  "You're not telling me something.  You and Pan have something going on.  Not romantically involved, maybe.  But there's something.  And if you were my friend, you'd tell me what it is."

My head was spinning.  I thought of Pan's hands.  I thought of his words.  I thought of his hot breath rolling down my neck.

"I," I choked, "I can't."

Gale scoffed and stood up.  "Of course," he snapped bitterly, his sour words biting his lips.  He grabbed the door handle and swung it open, daylight falling like a sheet into the room. He jabbed a finger toward it.

The thunder rolled through us again.

"Get out."

Thanks guys <3 Comment and vote!!

Sorry it's very short and poorly written, I just needed to get a filler out there.

Thanks so much for 290K reads and one of these chapters (22 or 24 I think?) has almost 600 COMMENTS. You are all so amazing !!!!