THIRTY-SEVEN

This chapter is too much cliche, I know. Anyway, enjoy reading.

Author's Note: Cussing. Profanities. Mention of rape.

AKARI WAS in a coma

AKARI WAS in a coma.

Hours after the rescue, Inoue and her team of paramedics did all their can to save her life as her vital signs kept on dropping to the point that she had to be revived twice until the ambulance reached the hospital. Once arrived, the doctors and the other medical staff immediately rushed the unconscious girl to the operating room to perform emergency surgery on her and extract the bullet from her shoulder.

Meanwhile, Akari's uncle, Hanagaki Hideo, had just visited his wife, Chiako, who was confined in the same hospital at that time. He hurriedly came running to the operating room upon receiving the news from Inoue about his niece's current state and how she was found almost lifeless in an abandoned facility.

Three hours went by and the huge doors to the operating room flew open. A man in his scrub suit stepped outside to meet Akari's relative and announced that the surgery was a success, much to everyone's relief. However, the doctor also explained that the patient was still in a critical state and went into a coma due to the severity of her sustained injuries. She was then brought to the Intensive Care Unit for strict monitoring of her condition. No one was allowed to visit her for the meantime until she was stable. The visitors were only permitted to see her through the glass window of her room and within the visiting hours.

Inoue personally handled the young girl's case and was the one who informed the police about the incident. Akari's abductor, now identified as Ishiyama Kazunori, was pressed with numerous charges including the rape and murder of Hanagaki Misaki. There was evidence found in his old house back in Shibuya including the knife used for the murder and Misaki's photos and belongings. Unfortunately, the suspect died two days later due to cardiac arrest at the same hospital where his two recent victims, Akari, and her aunt, had been admitted before he could experience jail time.

Justice had finally served on the silver platter and the case was now officially closed.

Three days after the incident.

Inoue Sayaka was done with her usual routine rounds to her patients and strode inside the ICU to check Akari's condition next. She was greeted by the nurses at the station until she spotted a familiar bleach-blonde hair standing by the glass window of the room where the girl lay comatose. "Hm? Kurokawa? What are you still doing here?" she queried the young teen. "It's already 10 pm. Visiting hours are over."

Izana didn't bother to glance at her and only had his orchid hues fixated on Akari who remained unresponsive and was surrounded by medical apparatuses. There was a cardiac monitor attached to her for continuous monitoring of her vital signs and also a mechanical ventilator to support her breathing. "How is she?" he asked shortly, instead of replying to her question.

Inoue let out a deep sigh as she stood right next to him, her eyes also focused on the young girl. "There is still no progress in her condition or any signs of her waking up soon," she told him truthfully.