✸ Chapter 22 | Jail Time | ✸

Another blow. Another scream. Another day. That was how my days played out in the Capitol. They would lock me in a room with jabberjays mimicking the screams of the people I love because nothing hurts me more than hearing them in pain and not being able to do anything. Then a peacekeeper would come in, asking if I had information, and when I would say no or a rude remark, they’d beat me black and blue, step out, and the screams would resume.

    At night, I would rest Peeta’s head on my lap and hold Jo close, knowing our dreams would be filled with nightmares. They recorded an interview with Peeta weeks ago. Pain was terrible, but I might as well have had some fun.

    When the peacekeeper came in and asked if I knew anything, I said yes. “Really?” He reeled before regaining his intimidating form.

    “Oh, yes, I know things. Like how Snow’s a bitch and so are all of you.” I said, and another round of beating ensued. But I laugh. An insane laugh. “Open your eyes! This is a goddamn revolution, and you’re tasked with beating up a defenseless girl! Do you really think you’re all that brave?! Because if you were, you’d be fighting the rebels even if you are going to lose!” I yelled, and the blows came harder.

    After all, this is jail time.

~/~

    Finnick was not okay. He hardly woke up for more than five minutes. They drilled that down to the electric shock, but in reality, it’s because of Aria. There were only four people he tolerated. Katniss, Percy, Will, and Nico. They all understood what he was going through, Katniss more than the other three. Percy was a mess, and Will was no better while Nico became even more darker.

    Percy said he found Aria’s notebook at camp, and he gave it to Finnick. It was filled with memories, regrets, lyrics, and just the plain complicatedness of Aria’s mind that Finnick managed to break down. Her spelling was atrouseous, but years of knowing Aria and just how her mind worked, it was no challenge to figure out what it said for Finnick. He never let it go, nor a piece of rope, the piece of rope Aria had given him a decade ago, frayed and old, but it was too precious to let go.

    There was an assembly, and Finnick and other hospital patients were taken to it with doctor's supervision. Percy stood near Finnick. “Hey,” Percy muttered, and Finnick spun around, his instincts strong, but so were Percy’s and he jumped back as Finnick swung his fist.

    “Oh, sorry, Percy,” He said, and they turned back. Finnick resumed tying and untying his rope. “Hey, Finnick.” Katniss said, but Finnick didn’t notice so she nudged him. “Finnick! How are you doing?”

    “Katniss,” He said, gruffly, gripping her hand. “Why are we assembled here?”

    “I told Coin I’d be her Mokingjay. But I made her promise to give the other tributes immunity if the rebels won.” She told him, “In public, so there are plenty of witnesses.”

    “Oh. Good. Because I worry about that with Ari. That she’ll say something impulsively and be written off as traitorous.” Finnick said, and Percy noticed that Katniss clearly forgot about Aria, and he sent a glare to her.

    “Don’t worry, I took care of it.” She said, and Percy trailed after her as she went up to the podium and Coin. “I need you to add Aria Kaywell to the immunity list.”

    “Actually, her real last name is Doxon.” Percy voiced, and Katniss spun around.

    “Huh?” She said, and Percy nodded.

    “Yeah, well, even she doesn’t know so try not to tell her when she comes back.” He said, and she nodded before turning her head back to Coin.

    “Why?” She asked.

    “She’s Finnick Odair’s-” She didn’t really know what to say, and Percy made a clicking sound with his tongue. “Soulmate.” Percy filled in, and Katniss nodded impatiently. “Yeah, yeah- wait what?” She spun on her heel to Percy again. “I’m sorry, who do you think you are?” Coin asked, grudgingly, and Percy smirked.

   “Well, I’m Percy Jackson, Aria’s older brother, the one of the other world, Captain Sea Salt.” He said, confidently.

    She nodded, and then they ignored Percy. “She’s from District Four. Quite…fragile.” Katniss said, and Percy groaned.

    “Oh, shut up with this fragile junk. Dump water over her head and she’s the sanest person alive. And the healthiest. And the powerfullest.” He said, and they both ignored him.

    “Oh, the mad girl. That’s not really necessary. We don’t make a habit of punishing anyone that frail.” Coin said, and they both relaxed a bit.

    It’s clear Katniss is fighting something off her mind, but says, “No? Then it shouldn’t be a problem to add Aria.”

    “Alright,” She said, adding in Aria’s name. “Do you want to be up here with me for the announcement?” She shook her head. “I didn’t think so. Hurry up and lose yourself in the crowd. I’m about to begin.”

    The both of them made their way back to Finnick. By the end of the president’s speech, Percy whistled. “If I made a deal like that…well, chances are my camp would be dead, especially me.” He said, but this clearly wasn’t the right crowd. “Alright, I’m going to talk to Annabeth so she can smack over the head.” He said, going to find Annabeth.

    “Who’s Annabeth?” Katniss asked, and he turned to look at her.

    “My wife.”

~~~A/N~~~

In case some of you are confused, this takes place in the future (and the Riordan verse paused after Heroes of Olympus btw), and so...ya.

As always, eat some cheerios,
⋆Hush⋆