♥︎ Chapter One | Reapings and Rude Friends | ♥︎

I woke up with a start on the reaping of the 65th Hunger Games. I had the most vivid nightmare of me and my best friend, Finnick, going into the games together. It was my first reaping and it was safe to say I was terrified.

I looked over at her ten-year-old little sister, Jayla, and my five-year-old sister, Vera. They were safe. For now. No matter if we were only sisters through adoption, I still loved them. They were adopted too just like me. The only thing was they were born biological sisters. I was just their emotional sister. I kissed their foreheads, and left the room.

"Aria, sweetie, where are you going?" Lora, my adoptive mom, asked me.

"To empty the traps." I said, trying to slip away, and Lora bit her lip.

"Okay, just be quick, and don't get too dirty! The reaping is real soon! I wanna doll you up before you're first reaping!" She said but I ran out the door the exact moment she said okay.

Now, let me tell you something, about half of district four is brainwashed into thinking that Capitol trash about the games. Lora was part of that half. She wanted one of her daughters to be the victor her brother failed to be. He was killed in the 54th Hunger games. Stabbed in the back. Quite literally and figuratively. I was part of the other half that had a sensible mind. And it made no sense as to why people would send people to their death for entertainment.

"Finn!" I yelled at the golden haired boy.

"Hey, Ari." He said, sitting on the dock. I hugged him. He was two years older than me so the risk of him going in was higher.

"I'm scared." I whispered, and he sighed.

"Well, your name's only in there once so-"

"Not for me. Your name is in there like...twenty times!" I whimpered, and he lifted me up. "What...what are you doing?!" I yelled as he walked to the ocean. "No, no, no, no, n- AHH!" I squealed as he dropped me into the water.

"Oh, Fishstick! You're going to get it!" I yelled, getting up from the water. I chased after him mercilessly, "I'm gonna catch you!" I called in a sing-song voice as I started to gain on him. I tackled him, and he yelped in shock.

"Alright, you win, Ari." He said, and I smirked.

"I guess." I taunted, and he grunted as I stood up.

"Thank you, now I'm going to snap my spine back into place." He glared at me and I stuck my tongue out.

"I ain't that heavy!" I protested, and he laughed.

"Of course not!" He said sarcastically, still laughing.

"You best hope you can run fast..." I glared at him, and he raised his arms in surrender.

"Alright, alright, I'm so sorry and I shall bow down to you for all eternity, my queen!" He said, falling to his knees and bowing his head as if he were begging for forgiveness. I giggled and pulled him up and hugged him.

"You're not wet!" Finn marveled, and I sighed.

"Hmm, must've dried while I was chasing you." I said, and he kissed the top of my head. "I still have to empty the traps, Finn." I whispered, and he nodded.

"I can help." He offered and I nodded.

"Okay, Fishstick." I mumbled, and he groaned.

"Don't you dare call me that!" He warned, and I scoffed.

"Not my fault you mumbled your name when I met you, Fishstick Odd Air." I teased before sprinting towards the docks to empty the traps.

"I'm taking you down!" He yelled after me, and I laughed.