♠ Chapter 16 | Tribute Parades | ♠

I stormed angrily from the elevator. The outfit for the tribute parade was way too revealing to my liking. Basically, it was a sea green bikini with a netting dress on top of it. At least it wasn’t as bad as Finnick’s.

    “Hey, Ari.” Finn said, and I smiled.

    “Hey, you.” I said, and he grinned. “Love your outfit.” I teased, and he raised his arms in surrender.

    “Sorry, not giving out autographs.” He said, and I chuckled.

    “You’re talking to each other!” Jo gasped, and I grinned. “Maybe.”

    “Nice outfit, Jo. Where’d you get it? The lumber yard?” Finn teased, light heartedly.

    “At least I’m covered, and not at risk of my tits falling out of this thing.” Jo said, not taking any of Finn’s cocky shit.

    “Why are you so stiff? It’s like you’re wooden.” Jo is about to snap back when I have enough of it. I pinched both of them by the ears. They both hissed at me while I laughed.

    “Hey, you two are like my bitches!” I exclaimed, and I released them.

    Finn looked over my shoulder and smirked, “Check it, Fire Girl’s here. Want to go mess with her with me?” He asked, and I sighed.

    “As much as I would love to, I want to give everyone a fighting chance in these games.” I said, apologetically, before turning sharply to the horse. “Pardon, but that’s nice.” I snapped, and the horse neighed again. Who knew horses could be bitches? “Okay, shut up now.” I stomped my foot and Finnick slipped away.

    “You done yelling at a horse?” Jo asked, and I shook my head. “Nope, he's still irking me.”

    “You hang out with Finnick and me, I think you cannot be annoyed by anything!”

    “He’s cursing you too, you know.”

    “That bitch!”

    I glance over at Finn torturing Katniss. “You think we should save her?” I asked, and Jo rolled her eyes. “No.”

    Finn came back after a moment and he hugged me. “Welp, I’m gonna leave.” Jo said, wandering away.

    “Shall we, mademoiselle?” Finn asked, jumping up onto the chariot and offering me a hand.

    “Of course, monsieur.” I said, and he chuckled, giving me a side hug.

    Fire Girl and Bread Boy show everyone up by being on fire again. Isn’t that old by now? I clutched Finn’s hand as our chariot moved. “I don’t get it.” I whispered to Finn, and he glanced at me before smirking. “Oh, Ari, there’s plenty you don’t understand.” I gaped at him mokingky. “Are you mocking me?”

    “Indeed I am.”

    “I’m ashamed, Fishstick.”

    “My name’s not Fishstick!”

    “I prefer fishsticks.”

    “Now, what don’t you get?” He asked, and I squeezed his hand. “Why did they put me in a revealing costume? Last time, I was covered most of the time.” I said, shifting my weight from foot to foot.

    “Well, that’s because you had Austin protecting you. His ‘love’ was protecting you from being sold as well. You were simply a mourning lover. But now…eight years later they think you’ve gotten past it.” He said, and I frowned.

    The chariot came to a halt in the training center. Finnick and I get in an elevator with Cecilia and Woof from eight. I avoided their eyes, thinking of Aviva. Aviva killing Austin. Aviva nearly killing me. Aviva acting sweet as she plotted our death.

    I’m grateful our floor is the fourth because I can’t take one more minute with their eyes on me. Pearl, Regina, Mags, Annie, Caspian, and Brooks poured from the other elevator saying we were great, and that was that.

    The next day is training. I wore a similar training outfit to my first, and then when we got there only a few others were there. I can’t breathe. Too many flashbacks. I felt Finn grip my arm, and I slowly returned to real life.

    I practiced with all of my favorite weapons. Swords, tridents, knives, and spears. “Ari! You want to do archery?” He asked, happily bounding about. Archery. Will. My best friend I never got to say goodbye to. I didn’t get to say goodbye to Percy, or Nico, or Jayla either. Why it’s hitting me now, I don’t know.

    “Sure.” I said, indifferently. Finnick frowned, noticing my stiffness. “What’s wrong?” He asked, and I choked down a sob. “Will. I miss him.” I choked out, and he held me in his arms. “Come on, RiRi. I want you to meet someone.”

    He tugged me to the fishhook station and introduced me to Katniss Everdeen, my little sister’s killer. I hugged her, and she was clearly taken aback before hesitantly wrapping her arms around me. “Thank you.” I whispered, and she stared at me. “For saving my little sister from this awful life.” She nodded after a moment and I smiled.

    “Okay, Finn, giving me a new person doesn’t get rid of the fact that I miss Will.” I said to him and Katniss bit back a smile. “Hey, it was worth a shot!” Finn said, and I laughed. After a moment, I snapped. “I miss my favorite sunshine boy!”

~~~A/N~~~

Shortest yet, but they're gonna get longer soon.