❃ Chapter 15 | The Quarter Quell | ❃

Too many thoughts. Too many voices. Too much hatred. I pressed my hands over my ears trying to drown them out, but they only got louder. I needed Nico, Will, or Jo with me to keep me from not exploding.

    I spent plenty of time at Camp Half-Blood now, just to keep me from running to Finn. I had already lost Lora and John from talking to Finn on the beach because I was freaking out and he helped me. I lost Vera to the seventy-fourth Hunger Games because Finnick came when I had a particularly bad nightmare and I didn’t push him away. Jayla was all I had left. And Percy, but he hardly came to District Four.

    Today was the day they announced the quarter quell, and I was having a particular bad day. I locked my door, not wanting to have anything to do with today. Or tomorrow. Or anything.

    Eight years this has been. Eight years I have hated everything to do with Mr. President.

   My mind was on its own. Jayla had moved out since she was twenty and had a life of her own. I’ve been terrible without her here, but I didn’t want to get in the way of her freedom. I curled up on my bed, not asleep, but not in the world. Trapped in my world of misery. Trapped in my memories. Trapped in the arena with all of those I killed around me.

    I shook with tears, and then I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. I turned and saw Mags there. I hugged and she held me as I sobbed.

    ‘Come,’ She signed to me. Her vocal cords were damaged in her games and with old age, she ended up not being able to speak at all now. ‘The Quell announcement is almost on.’

    Downstairs is a land I don’t go to much. I prefer not facing the days that only remind me of Austin, Alec, and Finnick. Even if I did, I couldn’t do much that would snap me in seconds.

    I rested my head on Mags’ shoulder as I watched the president read through the past quells. “And now for our third quarter quell,” He took an envelope with ‘75’ marked on the back. “On the seventy fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors.”

    A high pitched scream made its way from my throat. There was no way Regina, Mags, and Annie could go in. Besides, no one needs me anymore, nor did I desire to be here anymore. The only thing I didn’t want was Finnick to be with me. Ages of nightmares would come alive if that happened, and all of a sudden, I needed fresh air. I bolt from the house to the beach. My feet find mine and Finnick’s old spot. Tears spilled down my face, and I couldn't do anything to stop my tears.

    Moments passed, and everything registered in my head. I took a few deep breaths before going back to my house and upstairs. I fell asleep, but woke up hours later from the worst nightmare in years. My eyes are still shut and I’m screaming. Screaming as loud as I can and I’m still hazy, but I heard a voice. Calming me.

    “What’s your name?”

    “Ar-Aria.”

    “What about your last name?”

    That question was too hard for me and I started to get worked up again.

    “It’s okay, Aria, it’s okay. What are the facts?”

    “I lost one of my best friends to the games. I’m a daughter of Poseidon. I’m on the brink of insanity. I have a half brother named Percy. My three current best friends are Will, Nico, and Jo. President Snow told me if I spoke to Finnick, I’d lose my family-”

    “What?” My eyes flicked open and I saw Finnick, his face held in confusion. “You couldn’t speak to me? I-I spent years hating you because I thought you didn’t like me anymore and you just ignored me. I gave up on you. Oh god, I’m hurting your family right now. I should go.” He said, getting up to leave, but I pulled back down.