𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃

𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃

|275 𝐀𝐂, 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐫

The princess's time in Dorne came to a steady end at the dawn of the middle of the age, as did Oberyn's.

The following morning after he won the duel with Yronwood, he was a ball of radiant pride. He wore his scars and cuts like badges of honour, much to Elia and Naerys's annoyance because they'd done everything they could do patch him up, and his parading about was opening up some of the stitches.

As the day wore on, a messenger from Yronwood arrived with grave news that made Oberyn's smile die.

The lord Yronwood had died that morning and, all say, from his wounds. They festered and many turned to Oberyn, claiming he'd fought with a poisoned blade.

Now, anyone who was close to Oberyn and knew him well knew he didn't need a cheap trick like that to defeat his enemy. His skills were more than sufficient for that.

However skilled he was on the battlefield, though, he was not skilled enough to stand against calumnies by more than half of his country men, a third of which were asking for his head in return for their deceased lord.

Loreza refused. Elia refused. And Naerys, the Darling of the Realm, Mother of Dragons, the Morghon-pryjatys, refused to hand him over to the new lord of Yronwood and his men.

Still they called for his blood.

"There is only one solution to this," Loreza had concluded dismally. Her ringed fingers tapped impatiently on the armrests of her throne.

Oberyn, Elia, Ashara, Arthur, Naerys and the rest of her court gathered that day to hear the verdict of their prince.

"My son shall be sent to the Citadel. There he shall train to be a Maester. There he shall remain, for he is no longer permitted nor welcome in Dorne."

Oberyn considered it a fate worse than death.

Of course, he wouldn't show it in front of his friends, family and court. Instead, he gave a curt nod and accepted his punishment.

When time came for the Targaryens to depart, it was only days before he was to leave, too. Naerys went to his rooms to speak with the young man who had become like a brother to her one last time.

Most of his trunks were full already and all that was left were his weapons, some of his clothes, and shoes.

"It is hard the first time," Naerys told him. "It's difficult leaving your home the first time, but once you taste that freedom you cannot get enough of it. You will be fine, Obi, I'm sure of it. In fact, knowing you, you'll thrive."