2. Keep Momma Happy (P)

PETER'S POV

"Hey, Peter, could you do me a favor?" Mom asked me, coming from the kitchen.

"Sure," I replied.

I was finally home for a few months after a year-long mission trip to Africa. I had some free time on my hands so why not help mom out?

"I have a parent-teacher conference with Ev's math teacher, but I just got called into work on an emergency. Would you care to fill in for me?"

"Sure. What time and where do I need to go?"

"Just go up to the office, they can tell you. You need to be there by 3. It doesn't start until 3:15 but be punctual."

"Yes ma'am," I said respectfully.

"Thank you, love," she rushed over and kissed my cheek.

"You're welcome."

After she left, I checked the time. I had less than half an hour before I had to leave. I decided to go ahead and get ready to leave. By the time I left my house, I was running a few minutes late. I would be there by the start time, but I wouldn't be as punctual as Mom wanted me to be.

I went into the office and they told me straight down the hallway, the second door on the left. I checked the sticker outside the door and it told me I was in the right place. I knocked lightly and peeked my head in the door. There was a slender, brunette woman standing at a desk, flipping through some papers.

"Mrs. Samuels?" I asked.

"That's me," the woman smiled.

I walked in and went to shake her hand. My breath caught. I recognized her immediately.

"Taylen?" I questioned, just to be sure.

Mrs. Samuels?!?!? Is she married?

She finally looked up at me and I saw it click with her as well.

"Peter?" she sounded confused.

"Hey, how are ya?" I smiled.

I quickly glanced down at her hands to look for a ring. She had one on, but it wasn't on her married finger. What did that mean?

I didn't expect to see her again. I knew she was still friends with my aunt, but Eliza was careful that we didn't cross paths. When I left her all those years ago, I had expected that when I came back, we could work things out. As it turned out, she had other plans. I haven't seen her in years.

"I'm great! What are you doing here?" she asked the question I knew was going through her mind.

"Well, Mom got called into work last minute, and since I was home, she asked me to come," I explained to her.

Understanding washed over her as she got back into business mode, "Shall we get started?"

"Sure."

She began to give me all the reasons that Everly should be moved up in math class. Her grades were perfect and she wasn't being challenged enough by the coursework. I agreed with her. That little girl was brilliant.

A curly, blond boy came into the room. When she glanced up to see who it was, she instantly began to glare at him.

"Excuse me one moment, please," she held up her finger and walked over to the boy.

The boy had started to hunker as she approached him.

"I thought I told you to come straight here after you were dismissed," she gave him a dangerous look that I still remember ten years later, "Do you have homework?"