Chapter Sixteen: Forbearance

╔═════       ═════╗

for·bear·ance |  /fôrˈberəns/

(n.) patient self-control; restraint and tolerance

╚═════       ═════╝

The next day dawned bright and clear, a few wispy clouds lazily drifting across the sky as the sun's refulgent rays beamed down upon The Big City. The sound of birds outside woke me up from my deep sleep, and I opened my eyes, surprised to find myself on the bed of my apartment rather than the couch. It took a few moments, but I eventually remembered the events of the previous night.

I glanced over at Ballora, who was sleeping beside me. The morning rays of light shining through the window illuminated her form, making her look like an angel, and my breath caught in my throat. I slid out of bed carefully so as to not disturb her, stepping away towards the countertop and grabbing a piece of paper and pencil.

Yesterday, I had run out of groceries, and knew that I would have to get some today. I would have taken Ballora with me, but she looked so peaceful sleeping there. It would have been a crime to disturb her, and I was not a criminal.

So I left a short note explaining my absence for when she woke up, saying that I would return in an hour or so, and left to go to the Big City Grocery Store.

As I perused the aisles of the store, searching for some sustenance that Ballora and I could share, I bumped into a familiar acquaintance; White, who was delighted to see me. It had been quite a while since I had seen my friends back at the Maximoff household, and it was great to see White again. He informed me that nothing too bad had happened so far back there, and that Glitch was doing alright, much to my relief. We spoke for quite a while before I ended up realizing that I had to get back to my apartment soon, bid White a hasty adieu, and ran off down the aisles once more.

I paid for the groceries and began walking down the streets of The Big City once more as I headed for my apartment, laden with bags. The day was lovely, and I took a few moments to sit down on a bench, admiring my surroundings and enveloping myself in the sounds of the city I now called home.

Then I remembered Ballora and leapt up in a state of panic, starting to dash home.

With some difficulty, I managed to open the door of my apartment with my hands full, and pushed open the door with my foot. Ballora had been pacing back and forth across the length of the apartment, abruptly spinning towards me when I entered. She looked, for lack of a better phrase, pissed off.

"You were due back an hour ago!" she snapped.

"Good morning to you as well," I greeted, setting down the groceries on the counter and starting to put them away. "You're right, I was, but I had to get us stuff to eat. Oh, and I met White on the way, so I had to-"

"I see that!" Ballora interrupted, watching me angrily, not bothering to help me put away the groceries. She raised her arms, gesturing to the apartment. "Do you see this?"

I glanced around the apartment with an eyebrow raised, thoroughly confused. Why had she gone back to treating me how she used to; like an enemy? "Uh... no?"

"I've been here for hours, completely alone," she snapped. "What could I have used to defend myself if Quackity or the police came barging through the door at any given moment?"

"Dude, calm down! Quackity's not gonna break down the door of this apartment any time soon! He doesn't even know where I live!" I said indignantly. "And the police don't know either, who the heck's going to come in here besides me or Vision?"