Chapter Four: Forelsket

╔═════ ═════╗

for·​el·​sket | /forɛlskəd/

(n.) the euphoria you experience when
you are first falling in love

╚═════ ═════╝

When I had bought my old house, I had felt excited. I wanted to experience all of the joys that it had to offer; cooking dinner for myself, laying on the couch and watching movies, sleeping in my new bedroom, being able to be lazy without anyone watching me. It had been absolutely wonderful.

The experience of being in my new apartment was far from wonderful.

First off, it was really small. Don't get me wrong, it was comfortable, and cozy, but I missed having an entire house with several separate rooms. Damn Quackity and Monty for taking that from me.

Second off, I wasn't alone. My sworn enemy had stolen my bed, and was watching my every move. Her eyes felt as if they were drilling through me, and her presence in the apartment caused me immense anger, but thankfully she didn't talk much. I couldn't be lazy, I couldn't sleep on the couch for the entire day, and I had to actually wear adequate clothing.

It was very awkward, to say the least.

Not only was I unable to be lazy, but I also actually had to do stuff. Ballora was injured and unable to take care of herself. The responsibility fell on me to treat her wounds and get her whatever she needed. But of course, Ballora had to go and make matters worse, because nothing's easy for me nowadays, is it?

No, she had to go and start refusing my efforts to let me help her, for whatever reason. At the moment, I was attempting to replace her hospital bandages with fresh ones, and she was having none of it.

"No."

"Listen to me-"

"No."

I groaned in exasperation. "For God's sake, Ballora! You just got yourself shot, and you're in no fit position to deny my help, so let me help you!"

She shook her head. "I'm fine. I'm not going to let you near me that easily. You drugged me without my consent-"

"You were in the hospital! That's what they do!" I retorted, the patience starting to leave me. "I'm not going to hurt you, we've been over this already! All I want to do is change the bandages, is that too much to ask?"

"Anything that involves you within five feet of me is too much to ask." she muttered, glaring at me.

"Well then, forgive me for not having telekinesis." I scoffed. "Listen. If you don't regularly change the bandages on your wound, it can get infected, and believe me, you don't want that to happen. You're in no condition to do it yourself. You can barely move properly. I'm the only one willing to do it. Let. Me. Help."

Silence filled the apartment as Ballora opened her mouth to retort, but was unable to. A look of defeat flashed across her face as she finally gave up, much to my satisfaction.

"Fine," she snapped. "Just...make it quick."

"Thank you." I sighed in relief, taking up the gauze and bandages once more before stepping over to the side of the bed slowly, kneeling beside her. She didn't move away from me, but continued to watch me warily.