Chapter Thirteen: Harbinger

╔═════ ═════╗

har·bin·ger | /ˈhärbənjər/

(n.) a person or thing that announces or signals the approach of another

╚═════ ═════╝

"Checkmate!" Springtrap exclaimed, placing his chess piece onto the checkered board. Ennard groaned in frustration.

"How do you win every time?" he asked, shaking his head, his long hair falling past his shoulders. "I don't understand."

"I've been playing chess for a long time, son," Springtrap said. "You've always got to think one step ahead. You were more focused on capturing my knight, when your pawn had a clear shot to the end of the board. Here, let me show you."

Springtrap stood up, walking around to stand beside Ennard, pointing at the board and telling him about some strategies he could have used in order to win. Ennard watched him explain these things with a smile, barely paying attention to what he was saying, and just enjoying the moment he could spend with his father.

That was, until the door burst open, and Quackity, Monty, and Waylon fell through it, breathing hard and looking excited about something.

"Springtrap- Ennard!" Quackity exclaimed, clutching a phone tightly in one hand. "I think we found her!"

Springtrap stood up, nearly knocking the chess set into the air as he and Ennard dashed over to Quackity. Tyler Hayward's voice was coming out of the phone.

"...has been discovered on the streets of The Big City by two local Tumblr sexymen, Onceler and Greedler," the mayor was saying. "Unfortunately, they were unable to capture her."

"Damn it!" Monty shouted angrily. "We were so close!"

"Well, at least we know she's alive!" Quackity said. "Wonder didn't kill her off, yet!"

"Yeah, that's the thing," Hayward told him. "Onceler and Greedler went on to tell me that they saw her walking down the street with Wonder, and they were chatting like old friends."

"Friends?!" Quackity exclaimed. "What the hell are you talking about? They're not friends!"

"That's merely what I had heard," said Hayward. "I don't doubt you, Quackity, but that's what they said."

"Then we should find Wonder now!" Monty interjected. "Find her, and we'll find Ballora! Friends or not, they're together, and we have to get her back!"

"Slow down, Monty," Waylon said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "We don't know where Wonder is. She's certainly not going to be at the Maximoff household anymore, that would be too obvious."

"You're right," Monty nodded, smiling at his boyfriend. "Thanks for that."

"We should go there, anyway!" Quackity said. "What if she is there? And even if she's not, we could kidnap one or more of her friends and hold them for ransom in exchange for Ballora! Or," His eyes gleamed with a sadistic light. "We could torture them for information! I'm sure they've got loads!"

Monty looked over at Waylon, who seemed put off by the idea of torture. "I mean, he's got a point..." he muttered, and Waylon shrugged. "It's fine by me."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Quackity exclaimed. Monty turned to follow him, but paused upon hearing his phone chime. He took it out of his pocket, his eyes darting over the screen for a moment as he read a text that he had just received. "Hol' up..."

"What? What is it?" Quackity spun around, moving forward to read Monty's text as well.

"Change of plan..." Monty murmured. "We're not going to the Maximoff household."

Quackity looked disappointed. "What? Why not?"

"An outside source who will remain unnamed for the time being has her located. She moved into an apartment building in The Big City a week ago."

Quackity's eyes widened, and he grinned. "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go get her!"

"It doesn't say where the apartment is, only that she lives in one of them," Monty told him. "We should wait to hear more information before we go breaking into every apartment building in The Big City. There's a lot of them."

"Right..."

"Is there anything that we can do?" Ennard asked. He and Springtrap had been patiently listening to the conversation, waiting for instructions. Monty looked up at them.

"Go find your friends," he told them. "Tell them that we have a lead on Ballora."

They nodded, quickly exiting the room. Quackity chuckled, and so did Monty, the latter tenting his fingers in an evil fashion.

"We're getting close to finding her, and Wonder," he said. "At this rate, we're bound to find them, and when we do, there will be hell to pay."