Chapter 9 - Practice Match (2)

Tweeet!

The sound of the ball bouncing against the floor echoed in the gym along with pants and cheers.

Hyotei had won the first set 25-12.

Walking back to the bench, the girls slumped and sat down, sweating and exhausted as they gulped down the water from their bottles like they were dying of dehydration.

"Ugh, they completely wiped the floor with us on that set," Seiyūro groaned, gripping her bottle with a shaky hold. "Whenever I was in the back they avoided spiking towards me."

"We noticed. They were aiming at Geri the most," Yasuko informed them and said first year flushed, shyly looking down at the ground in embarrassment. She had messed up many receives and caused Hyotei to gain so many points towards the middle of the set. "They just figured out who was good at what. In the future when you get better, you'll become less of a target."

The words, "It's not your fault that they're targeting you," were not said, but implied.

Then, the door slid open, gaining the attention of everyone inside. "Pardon the intrusion," multiple voices said and they could hear the rain pouring outside along with some thundering.

The tennis boys walked in, wet clothes clinging onto their figures, soaked bags and tennis rackets in their hands.

"Why are they here?" Seiyūro whispered to Inuka who shrugged her shoulders.

"Atobe-kun and others, what can we do for you?" Coach Kendo questioned, approaching the two teams with his hands behind his back.

"Kendo-sensei, sorry to intrude but can we stay here until the rain stops?"

"That's perfectly fine, come in and sit down. We wouldn't want you boys to be in the downpour and get sick later on." After accepting their request, the boys gratefully took shelter in the gym.

Coach Hirawasa clapped her hands. "Don't get distracted because some boys are now watching girls," she ordered and put her hands on her hips. "We can't do much against them, so just hold out with the defense and when there is an opportunity to score, take it. Just keep holding out there ladies."

"Right!"

The girls jogged back onto the court, switching sides, after the ref blew the whistle.

"Mind if we sit here?" a boy with dark blue hair and glasses asked and Hirawasa, Inuka, and Yasuko all turned their heads to see some of the tennis boys. Yasuko noted that the one talking had a Kansai accent which reminded her of Atsumu.

"Go ahead," Hirawasa replied, smiling. "There's enough room for a few of you to sit down."

"Thank you very much, miss." He smiled back and a few of the players, from both teams, sat on the bench while others sat on the floor or kept standing up, leaning against the wall. Yasuko scooted over, making sure there was enough room between her, Inuka, and the blue haired male so she wouldn't be touching either of them. She didn't notice how his eyes trailed down to her legs before looking back up. "By the way, I'm Oshitara Yūshi, thank you once again for allowing us to sit down on your bench. We would have asked our fellow schoolmates, but..." he trailed off, glancing at the full bench on the other side. "There didn't seem to be any room."

"It's fine," Hirawasa said, arms crossed as she watched Dō completely stuff Kaede, one of the second year spikers. "Atta girl!"

"Sakusa-san," Inuka mumbled, gaining the girl's attention. "Hyotei as a whole, what do you think of the team?" Humming, her brown eyes appraised the players on the court who were moving around to keep the ball up. Inuka's question made some of the boys curious, waiting to hear the black haired girl's answer.