Chapter 6 - Starting Point

Time seemed to fly by as the first week of school came to an end. Despite only knowing each other for a short amount of time, Yasuko and Kobuyasu seemed to match each other perfectly as a setter and spiker.

It was like they were destined to be partners.

Other than that, the others were slowly, very slowly, improving. Rather than focusing on offense, Coach Hirawasa decided to make Seigaku a defensive team this year due to the lack of players and height. They would be a defensive team that would keep the ball in play and Yasuko would be their main attacker, scoring the points.

And soon enough, as practices went on, the ranking matches Eiji talked to Yasuko about seemed to finally begin.

The campus ranking matches. Every second or third year would, once a month, be divided into four blocks to compete against each other. In each lock, the two top players would become regulars. A total of eight, they will be eligible to participate in different tournaments. But this time, a strange atmosphere has begun to lurk around the courts due to a first year participant.

"I can't wait-nya!" Eiji beamed as he walked beside Yasuko. The girl glanced at him from the corner of her eyes, seeing his more energetic and bouncing figure.

"Calm down Eiji-kun," Yasuko replied, fixing the strings of her mask. "Don't over exert yourself before school starts or else you'll be exhausted before the matches."

He pouted, but listened to her words. "But I'm so excited-nya."

"Save it for the matches so you can go all out."

"Understood!" The boy saluted like a soldier and the girl blinked, shaking her head as she continued to walk, Eiji smiling as he took long strides to catch up to her. "Ah! Wait for me Yasuko-chan!"

"Hurry up if you don't want me to leave you behind," she drawled out and the boy jogged up to reach her side again. Feeling amused, she let out a smile (hidden by her mask). "I won't be there for your match, but I know you'll do fine with and without me wishing you luck."

Eiji sparkled, glomming her in a tight hug. "YASUKO-CHAN!"

"Get off," Yasuko hissed out, but that seemed to make the hyperactive boy cling onto her tighter. "Eiji-kun!"

"You should respect people's personal space, Eiji," Ōishi said, walking up to the two by the school gates.

Ōishi nodded at Yasuko and she grunted, nodding back as she gestured to the boy who hung onto her like a koala. Sighing, he grabbed the back of Eiji's shirt, pulling him by the collar off of the tall girl.

"Ōishi!" Eiji whined, being hanged like a cat by the scruff.

"Now, now, Eiji. You saw how Sakusa-san was getting uncomfortable."

Fixing her uniform, Yasuko readjusted her bag. "Thanks Ōishi-san," she muttered and turned to the boy in his hand. "You better be clean when you hug me or else I'll spray you with disinfectant spray."

"I'm very clean-nya!"

"The cat hair on your uniform says otherwise," the girl retorted, reaching into her bag to pull out a small spray. "Stay back or else."

"Nya! Yasuko-chan you look scary right now!"

Ōishi sweatdropped. "Sakusa-san, I need Eiji unharmed and alive for the ranking matches today. Please spare him."

"...Fine." She grumbled words under her breath as she put the bottle back into her back.

"Yo, Sakusa-san," Seiyūro called out, her bob cut brown hair swaying as she walked towards her. "Mind serving some to me? I want to get a better hand on picking up lefties and the others aren't here yet so it's perfect to get some extra practice in."