Chapter 8 - Practice Match (1)

When their bus arrived at Hyotei, Yasuko took a moment to marvel at the high class school. It was really nice and somewhat reminded her of Shiratorizawa.

"Kobuyasu, here," Coach Hirawasa said and handed her a paper. "Go ahead with the girls and warm up. I have to park the bus so I'll be there a little later."

She took the map and nodded. "Got it."

Sending them a thumbs up and smile, Coach Hirawasa drove off.

"Alright! Let's do this!" Hana cheered, pumping a fist in the air.

"We have to head to the back gymnasium?" Kobuyasu muttered to herself, but Yasuko who was standing beside her heard it. "...They're underestimating us."

"Tch." the taller teen clicked her tongue. While volleyball was volleyball to Yasuko, to be sent to the back gymnasium which was usually code for the smallest gyms to play against bad teams was... insulting. "Kobuyasu, lead the way."

"Alright, come on girls, let's go!" The captain shouted and started walking ahead, with Yasuko by her side walking two steps behind her. The others followed after them, their white and blue sports jackets swaying in the wind. The bold print of 'SEIGAKU VB' on the back, being carried with pride.

As they walked outside the school with Kobuyasu leading as she followed the paper with directions, taking the path to the back gym, they had to pass the giant tennis courts.

"W-Wow..." Geri breathed out in awe.

"Hyotei is famous for their tennis teams, the boys especially," Seiyūro mentioned, looking at the boys who seemed to be in a practice match with another team.

Dō scoffed, rolling her blue eyes. "They're more arrogant than anyone though."

"Too bad," Inuka sighed. "Those boys are cute." Neri gave her upperclassmen a look while Hana laughed.

"Who cares about boys," Kobuyasu replied, looking forward to the path ahead of them. "We aren't here for that, we're here to play and win. So let's just do that."

"Osu!" They all cheered except Yasuko, who kept quiet.

Yasuko kept her hands stuffed in her jacket pockets, head held high as her bag straps were around one shoulder. Behind her mask were her lips pursed in a straight line.

Were her nerves getting to her? No, it was just... She looked down at her knee, remembering her doctor's words.

'A set and a half... that's all I can play.' Her eyes hardened. 'Don't overwork myself today... Save it for the actual game.'

"Sakusa-senpai!" Hana called out, eyes sparkling. "I'll do my best... so afterwards, please teach me how to spike better!"

Blinking, she stared at the girl behind her. "You don't have to ask, I was going to teach you regardless," she responded and looked forward again, missing the way Hana jumped up and down, squealing as Neri tried to calm her older sister.

'A tennis racket?' Yasuko raised a brow when she saw a tennis racket laying on the ground on the side. 'People shouldn't carelessly leave their stuff on the ground. I'll move it to the side.'

She bent down to pick it up when-

"WATCH OUT!" a boy's voice screamed and Yasuko's eyes moved to see a yellow tennis fall flying towards Geri.

"KYA!" Out of habit, she screamed and closed her eyes, preparing for the ball to hit her. A few seconds passed and she sheepishly opened her eyes. '...Huh?'