On the eye of the storm

"It was here

"It was here. Right here" Max says, looking at the wall.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asks.

"It was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just... I woke up" Max says.

"It was like she was in a trance or something" Sofia says, feeling Robin squeezing her hand more, as a way to calm her down. She could see that Sofia wasn't okay by the way she spoke.

"Exactly what Eddie said happened to Cher" Dustin adds.

"That's not even the bad part" Max says, turning to the group.

As they walked back to Ms. Kelly's office, Robin puts her arm around Sofia's waist and pulls her closer. "How are you?" Robin whispers to her.

"I don't know" Sofia whispers back.

They get inside the office and Sofia sits on Robin's lap, who's sitting across from the table.

"Fred and Cher, they both came to Miss Kelley for help" Max says. "Uh, they both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then..."

Sofia feels more anxious now. About Vecna. About Max's life. About everything.

"Then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just... They kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually... Everything ended" Max explains.

"Vecna's curse" Robin says, running chills down Sofia's spine.

"Cher's headache started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days. I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Cher, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock, so... looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow" Max says with some tears rolling down her face.

Sofia wants to cry. Max cannot die tomorrow. She can't. Sofia feels her eyes getting watery and starts feeling a lot more nervous.

Suddenly, they hear a distant clang. Steve gets up and tells everyone to stay back. However, Sofia doesn't listen to him. If that Vecna creep was somehow there, she had to protect Max. 

Steve grabbed a lamp and Sofia grabbed her pocketknife. She's been carrying one with her since the 4th of July.

Sofia follows him, standing behind him. She soon felt everyone following them. Of course they would do that.

They hear a noise coming closer to them. Sofia held onto her knife tighter and tried to control her breathing. 

A person runs right into the group, making them yell. 

"It's me!" the person said.

"Lucas?!" Nancy asks.

"It's me" Lucas says, breathless, making Sofia sigh and put her pocketknife away.