5. operation child endangerment

For the rest of the day, Sofia talked with Robin when she was on her break, ate ice cream and read

For the rest of the day, Sofia talked with Robin when she was on her break, ate ice cream and read. She was mostly trying to relax and not think about what happened.

"Erica, do you copy?" Robin asks to the walkie-talkie.

"Mm-hmm. I copy" Erica responds. "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position" Robin says. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light"

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment" Erica says.

"Can we maybe not call it that?" Sofia asks, grabbing the walkie-talkie from Robin's hands.

"See you on the other side. Nerds" Erica says, shutting the walkie-talkie off.

After a few minutes, the doors to the secret room open, and Erica says "Free ice cream for life". They enter the room and Steve cuts open one of the boxes, revealing a metal box. Steve opens it and there's 4 compartments inside.

"That's definitely not Chinese food" Steve says, getting ready to open it. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back".

Robin, Sofia and Erica back away, but Dustin doesn't. "Just step back, okay?" Steve asks.

"No" Dustin insists. "If you die, I die".

"Well, that's nice" Sofia whispers, sarcastically.

Steve opens it, showing a cylinder filled with some green goo. "What the hell?" he mumbles.

"What is that?" Robin asks, but before anyone has the time to reply, the room moves.

"Was that just me, or did the room move?" Sofia asks, feeling scared.

"Booby traps" Erica whispers.

"You know what? Let's just grab that and go" Robin says anxiously, grabbing the cylinder.

"Which one do I press, Erica?" Dustin asks, after pressing the "Door open" button and nothing happens.

"Just press the damn button, nerd" Erica says.

"Which one? I'm pressing the button, okay?" Dustin asks, and he and Erica start yelling at each other over the button.

Suddenly, the door slams shut, and the elevator starts going down. They all start to lose balance and try to hold something. Sofia goes over to the shelves and holds them, screaming.

"Shit! Shit!" Dustin screams, and Sofia looks at him to make sure he's not hurt.

"We're going down! We're going down!" Steve screams.

"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" Robin screams back at him.

Erica and Dustin keep screaming at each other as the elevator goes down. Meanwhile, Sofia grabs onto Robin's hand, as they're both holding the shelves. Sofia feels more panicked than ever. It was like her heart could come out of her mouth.