Chapter 23

Elysia.

Do what you like with us, but don't give her that.

I would never believe it.

I will not forget you.

Elysia jolted in bed. The voices died in an instant as the nightmare and the voices dissolved like smoke in a heavy wind. She wiped the sweat from her forehead as she sat up and looked around the semi-circle room, relief calming her heart to see the torches on the walls still lighting the night.

It was the same dream every night. Two blurry figures and voices she did not recognise screaming at her from all directions. Except for Mordrake's, she remembered his and that brough an ounce of comfort in the darkness. She rubbed her face and sighed, a tumultuous numbness filling her. She glanced at the metal bracelet on her wrist as tears filled her eyes. Mordrake said it was to protect her, but she hated it. It weighed down her very soul.

She kicked off the blankets and walked barefoot over to the closed window. She sat on its elongated sill and stared out at the stars. It was a moonless night, but the stars seemed to shine even more brightly in its absence.

She gazed down at the rest of the castle and the roofs of houses stretching out. Lights dotted the streets in the distance and an emptiness swallowed her heart. It was all unfamiliar despite Mordrake telling her it was her kingdom. She did not know it. And a pain like a dagger wedged itself between the shadows of her heart and mind.

Rudimentum. The realm of magic. She needed to get there so she could take him there. Everything would be all right then. If only she went there instead of having the nightmares every time she closed her eyes.

"The nightmare again?" said Mordrake in the doorway.

She turned to him; her eyes lowered. "Yes. Voices scream at me, but they feel so real."

He approached her and took her hand. He kissed the top of it and said, "You know I do what I do to protect you?" She nodded. "I did not wish to tell you this but perhaps it may ease your mind. There are people in this world that wish to harm you. One calls himself Swift." Mordrake waved his hand in the air. An image of a man appeared with sun-tanned skin and a bandana around his head. "The other, William." A man with a scar across his eye and another decorating his jaw and forehead appeared, standing cold and unfeeling. "They kidnapped you, intending to ransom you, but I rescued you in time. Meanwhile, your brother plotted with them, and he murdered your parents to usurp the throne."

She gazed at the young blonde boy, his eyes an innocent glow. "My brother?" Her heart stirred within her. Instinctively she reached out to touch him, but the image disappeared in a flash of smoke. She stared at where he had been. She couldn't remember what her parents looked like. How could he do such a thing? Her eyes welled with tears. Although Mordrake was with her, and promised he would be forever, she felt entirely alone.

Mordrake's voice came in sharp. "He is a traitor. He is no longer your brother. We stopped him and took back the kingdom. But that is why I need you to take me to Rudimentum, so I can bring back the power to make the world a better place and rid it of scum like those men. Can you do that for me Elysia? For your kingdom and people?"

She squeezed his hand, but he did not return it. "Yes, I will try."

"Good." He let her hand fall. "This tower is for your protection, but once you have given me Rudimentum you will be free of it and of that bracelet, I promise." He leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. From his pocket he pulled out a hair comb. There were two gems with the third missing. "I found this in the throne room. I believe it is yours."

She gazed at the silver hairpiece as he headed for the door. It looked so familiar. She furrowed her brows, searching for an answer but finding only emptiness and a dim glowing ember of frustration. "Thank you," she said, but he had already locked the door behind him.

A tear rolled down her cheek. She held the comb in a fist against her chest and closed her eyes. She sat by the window alone in the tower, unable to close her eyes to the loneliness in her heart.