Chapter 15

Swift found he could not get Anna off his mind. She kept creeping in like sunlight through slips of the curtain and he found his own lips slipping into a sheepish grin. He travelled in silence, his mind wandering off into fantasies he knew he could never hope to achieve. He thought of sleep and found himself in bed next to her. His leg ached, but he found her there to soothe it. He gazed at the stars and saw her light specking of freckles.

They passed through the city gate, and he glanced back at Elysia who still laid sleeping on her side. He decided not to steal the bliss of sleep from her, if only for a few more minutes.

As they neared the hospital, Elysia woke to the gentle rocking of the carriage. She opened her eyes to find the clouds had marched on entirely, leaving a sky painted with stars. She dragged herself up, sleep remaining in her body like an anchor and for a moment she wanted to lay back down and let it embrace her once again. Yawning, she found the trees around her had been replaced by the buildings of the city.

"Ah, you are awake," said Swift.

She turned on him, anger flaring. "You were supposed to wake me when we got to the gate!"

"You looked so peaceful," said Swift without turning around, "and you needed it. The trip from the gate to Nathanael's would only fill you with growing worry. Sleep is much better."

She gritted her teeth and sat back against the cart. Houses stood dark and silent around them. She thought of Evelyn and further dreaded the thought of travelling to Rudimentum. She would be alone. No one to speak to. No one to confide in. Only the remnants of her within the cottage which would be forever frozen like it was trapped in a painting. Her mind wandered to William and those lying on the grass, dead long before help arrived. And Swift was right. Sleep was much better than the pain that drilled a hole in her heart.

"Besides," he said, "we are here."

Elysia's heart skipped a beat. She turned and took in the view of the red-bricked tower whose flames shone like a beacon of hope. The beauty of it betrayed the death it had no doubt seen. She let out the breath she had been holding.

"Follow me to the stables and storage," said one guard ahead of them. They rolled along past a courtyard of flowers and turned down the sloping corner. They travelled along the length of the hospital where at the end they reached a large barn. The two wooden doors stood open and a young boy, no older than sixteen, lounged back on a stool. He opened his eyes and jumped to his feet at the sound of the encroaching hooves.

"Jon, sir," said the boy towards the lead guard. "Master Nathanael told me to await your arrival."

"Good. Return the cart and stable the horse," said Jon. "I must make a report and inform Lord Pedrov of what has occurred. Will you two be all right?"

"Yes," said Swift. "We will be staying here." He limped his way off the cart and grunted onto his good leg. He grabbed Elysia's hand as she clambered over the side.

The boy took the reins. "The front is open, just down there."

The guards moved on with a nod. The boy led the horse into the barn while Swift and Elysia hurried back. The large white front doors glowed in the night and through the windows candles with flickering flames were like small red ghosts. Elysia's heart hammered, and she shuddered at the thought of what could be on the other side. She swallowed as she clenched her fists to stop them shaking.

Swift limped behind her, his leg swollen and pulsing with every heartbeat. He gritted his teeth and looked up to find Elysia glancing back at him quite a few paces ahead. She stopped and her eyes fell.

"Sorry," he said avoiding her gaze as he caught up to her.

"Do not be," she said. She grabbed his hand and squeezed, fighting the tears in her throat. Never in a million years had she thought she would ever seek comfort from the man who had imprisoned her on his ship. Perhaps he had changed. Perhaps they both had changed.