Chapter 10

The travel was slower than they had expected but it was refreshing to be in the company of a group of people who truly cared about each other. It became apparent the moment the sun greeted them over the horizon. They served food and ate together with bellowing laughter. They disassembled furniture, stages, and tents in a methodical orchestra of teamwork. Dan and Stan made sure Elysia knew everyone there was to know while Swift and William busied themselves with heavy lifting.

"I never thought I would see you doing honest work," said William as he and Swift carried piles of board to a cart.

Swift pouted. "I didn't think I would ever see you not guarding her." At this William looked around but could not see her. "Oh, stop it. She is fine."

For two days they travelled along the roads towards Woombi, their troupe a long line of jovial chatter and the spontaneous breakout of old folk songs Elysia had never heard before. Her favourite was 'The Lioness' about a powerful woman who fought against her corrupted master.

Swift introduced them to some sea shanties he had learned while claiming to have served as a Vasilisian privateer. William remained ever watchful of the open land around them, carrying sacks over his shoulders and walking beside the large arm wrestler whose name, as Dan had told Elysia, was Henry.

Elysia spied them speaking frequently, and she smiled whenever she saw it. He looked calm and content, his eyes no longer darting as much, and she noticed he slept better than he had in the forest.

She travelled near the front of the group with Minnow, a small woman herself but whose kindness, she found out, knew no bounds. She spoke of food and cooking with such passion it sounded like she would burst with all the knowledge she held about it. Elysia enjoyed her and Rita's company. Despite Rita only being twelve, she spoke with a wisdom of a woman late in her life.

"The young woman you travel with is very pretty," said Henry towards the end of the third day of their travel.

William noticed Henry spoke slowly as if he was constantly deliberating each word that left his mouth, but he was always polite and did not ramble on like Stan and Dan nearby.

"Aye, she is," said William. He could see her up front walking beside Chief Tienbuck's daughter. She no longer wore her cloak, and he could not help but notice how the leather vest shaped her waist. Swift also walked ahead of them. William looked at Henry and gestured to Swift. "You beat him the other night at an arm wrestle."

Henry nodded. "He was strong, as sea-faring men often are. His size belies his strength, but something distracted his mind. He was not in it, in that moment."

"What do you mean?" asked William. He wiped the sweat off his brow with his shirt sleeve.

"His head was set on winning, but his thoughts were somewhere else," said Henry tapping his temple with a finger.

William wondered what could have distracted Swift more than winning. The man that stood ahead of him now was not the same man on that ship. Or perhaps he was just better at concealing that other half. He said, "If he had not been distracted, would he have beaten you?"

"No." A smile cracked Henry's lips and he laughed. It was the first and only boast he heard from him.

William chuckled. "If I tried, do you think I could win?"

Henry looked him up and down. A man came up beside Henry holding the rope to a donkey that pulled along a cart laden with bags and wood. "It is your turn to lead Adene, Henry." He nodded and took the rope. He patted Adene's back and she walked alongside him amiably.

"Would you like to find out?" said Henry. His voice had returned to its usual humbleness.

"No thanks," said William glancing at his sun-reddened arms. "I do not feel like losing."