17 ~ i been dreaming 'bout the west coast

~~~
Tam's POV

When I showed up for work the next day, Biana wasn't there. That's when Ari appeared out of the employee break room and snapped, "Why did Biana leave work crying today?"

"What?" I asked, furrowing my brow.

"She changed her shift and spent the whole time looking like she was 2 seconds from a breakdown. Then I ask her if she'd talked to you recently, because you've blown off work for the past 2 weeks, and she starts hysterically sobbing, grabs her stuff, and runs out. Do you know anything about this?" Ari asked. "And don't even try to lie, because that girl is as tough as they come, and not just anything would make her break down."

I started to make up an excuse, then decided there'd be no point in lying. However, I could try for a redirect. "Why is she as tough as they come?"

Ari raised her eyebrows. "You seriously don't know?"

I shrugged, like I sort of did, but in all honesty, I had no clue.

"Fine." Ari said with a massive eye-roll. "You never asked what was going on with her, but I did. Something seemed seriously not right. So I asked her what she was so upset about. That blonde boy was her ex, Keefe, who dumped her on the first day of school. That plastic blonde idiot, Kelly? That was her old BFF who posted a super humiliating video of her and then, when Biana skipped school, she created a rumor that Biana was pregnant. Her dad demands she gets a job, so she goes here. Poor girl gets a crush on you, and then you fall in love with Kelly, and somehow she's not going insane."

Tam's mouth dropped open. "W-what?"

"Did you seriously not know?" Ari asks. "You're even more oblivious then I thought."

We worked the rest of the shift in silence, with Ari glaring at me every now and then. Finally, at 6:00, Ari hustled the last people out of the door and hung up the Closed sign.

I began to speak, but Ari huffed, gave me a dirty look, and I went silent again.

Ari grabbed her duffel bag and stormed out, while I was stuck there, sitting like an idiot. I pulled out my phone with a sigh.

Max: ʜᴇʏ, ʟɪᴢ, ᴄᴀɴ ᴡᴇ ᴛᴀʟᴋ?

The response comes almost instantly.

Liz: ꜱᴜʀᴇ, ᴡʜᴀᴛꜱ ᴜᴘ?

Max: ɪ'ᴍ ʜᴀᴠɪɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍꜱ

Liz: ʜᴀ ʜᴀ ʜᴀ ʜᴀ ʜᴀ! ᴏᴋᴀʏ ꜱᴇʀɪᴏᴜꜱʟʏ ᴡʜᴀᴛꜱ ᴜᴘ?

I feel slightly wounded that she didn't actually think I could be having love problems.

Max: ɪ ᴀᴍ, ᴊᴇᴇᴢ!

Liz: ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ꜱᴜʀᴇ! ꜱᴏ ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴍᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɢɪʀʟ (ᴏʀ ʙᴏʏ) ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ʜᴀᴠɪɴɢ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍꜱ ᴡɪᴛʜ.

Max: ᴡᴇʟʟ, ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ꜱᴜᴘᴇʀ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ꜰᴜɴɴʏ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ, ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀꜰʟɪᴇꜱ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ꜱᴛᴏᴍᴀᴄʜ. ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴋɪɴᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀꜱᴛᴀɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴀᴋᴇꜱ ᴍᴇ ꜰᴇᴇʟ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ.

Liz: ᴡᴏᴡ! ꜱʜᴇ ꜱᴏᴜɴᴅꜱ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴋᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ! ʜᴏᴡ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍ, ᴇxᴀᴄᴛʟʏ?

Max: ɪ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴀ ᴛᴏᴛᴀʟ ᴊᴇʀᴋ ᴛᴏ ʜᴇʀ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴇ ɪᴛ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴇ ɢᴏᴛ ɪɴ ᴀ ʙɪɢ ꜰɪɢʜᴛ. ɴᴏᴡ ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ꜱᴜᴘᴇʀ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴏ.

Liz: ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ꜱᴏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ꜱʜᴇ ᴡᴀɴᴛꜱ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ ɪꜱ ᴛᴏ ꜰᴇᴇʟ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀꜱᴛᴀɴᴅ. ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏɴᴛʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴛ ʜᴇʀ ᴏʀ ᴀᴄᴄᴜꜱᴇ ʜᴇʀ, ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴀᴘᴏʟᴏɢɪᴢᴇ.

Max: ᴜᴍ, ʜᴏᴡ? ꜱʜᴇ'ꜱ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴏɪᴅɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ.

Liz: ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ꜱʜᴇ ʟɪᴠᴇꜱ? ᴏʀ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʜᴇʀ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ?

Max: ɴᴇɪᴛʜᴇʀ

Liz: ᴜɢʜ... ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱ ᴀʟᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʜᴏᴘᴇʟᴇꜱꜱ

Max: ᴏɴᴇ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴɢ: ʜᴇʀ ᴏʟᴅ ʙꜰꜰ ɪꜱ ᴀ ᴛᴏᴛᴀʟ ᴊᴇʀᴋ ᴡʜᴏ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʜᴇʀ ᴀ ꜱᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ᴏᴜᴛᴄᴀꜱᴛ. ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴡᴇɴᴛ ᴏɴ ᴀ ᴅᴀᴛᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɢɪʀʟ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇʟʏ ɴᴏᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ᴡᴀꜱ ʜᴇʀ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɢɪʀʟ ᴄᴀᴜɢʜᴛ ᴍᴇ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɢᴇ ꜰɪɢʜᴛ ᴡᴇ ɢᴏᴛ ɪɴᴛᴏ.

This felt like the time where Liz would say something comforting and funny that would make me feel better. Instead, a minute and 41 seconds later, she typed:

Liz: ᴡʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɢɪʀʟ'ꜱ ɴᴀᴍᴇ?

Max: ᴜᴍ, ʙɪᴀɴᴀ ᴠᴀᴄᴋᴇʀ. ᴡʜʏ?

Liz went silent for 3 minutes. I'm not sure what happened, or how many times I typed Liz, are you OK? 

Then, I got a notification: This number has blocked you.