The Chariots

Chapter 6 - The Chariots

10 minutes later our stylist comes in. They must have one stylist for each family. 'Sorry I'm late,' he says matter of factly 'was talking to your brothers'. I look him up and down and he looks like a normal district 7 citizen, he doesn't look like he's from the Capitol. He turns to talk to Amber and then I see his back. It's covered in leopard print tattoos from head to toe. Once he finished talking to Amber he walks back to the middle of the room. 'Well, well look what we have here, the prep teams said they took you to beauty base zero,' he says pointing at me, then pointed to Amber 'and you just needed some touch ups and creams'. He talks to us for a little bit about how we took care of ourselves back home then all of a sudden walks out.

He comes back holding a stack of pages, which I guess to be the designs for our chariot ride costumes. He puts them on a table in between us and starts talking. I lean over and have a look at the designs. They look amazingly detailed. The boy sketch starts with a t-shirt and pants that look like paper with writing covering it, then they wear a brown vest that looks like bark from a tree and to finish it of they have a cape made out of glistening green leaves. Before I get to look at my costume design he rips it up off the table and folds it up.

It seems he has finished talking. He heads towards the door and Amber and I stay in our seats. Next thing I know I prep teams are back in the room bouncing with excitement. They blindfold us and I'm about to slap someone - whoever is in range - before someone says 'we are doing this so you don't see your dresses before we are done'. So I get pulled and prodded until finally I have the dress on. It feels a bit itchy but I hope I can ignore that. They stand us up and take off our blindfolds revealing our dresses.

They are stunning. It makes us look like the queen and princess of the forests. Our dress, like the boys outfit, has writing on the bodist and then underneath there is a skirt made of bark that overlap each other. They've styled our hair like Magnolia had on reaping day, making it look like we had crowns only this time we actually do. They have weaves some vines and flowers in our hair and it looks gorgeous. I didn't realise that before they were putting makeup on us and it looks fantastic. they've coloured our eyelids in different shades of green and it looks stunning. Last of all we have capes like the boys. I wonder what the boys look like in there's i think. Our prep teams leave and peacekeepers replace them. They escort us to the chariots were the horses and my brothers are waiting.

They look just like the drawings. I look around and see the other districts outfits. People from districts like 1,2,4 and 11 have decent costumes but the others are anything but. I see the district eleven boys and I almost faint. They are gorgeous in flower short and the even have a crown made of flowers. Rye and I meet eyes and he can't contain his escaping gasp at me. He winks and I smile back. Once we make it to the chariot I see that every family has their own and that everyone has separate costumes. I look over at Amanda and her sister and see that they are covered in paper. Bet they were wishing they had my stylist now I think.

We get the signal to hope on the chariots so we do. Axel and I stand up the front then Barker, Ash and Amber stand behind us. 'You look beautiful' Axel says to me. 'So do you' I say with a smile. The doors open and I can hear the cheering of the Capitol people from here. District 1 goes first dressed in crystal covered leggings ad feather tops. The districts follow with oo's and ah's from the crow but when my chariot heads out the door the cheers are so loud and in sync it sounds like its pouring down with rain outside. I look at the chariot next to me with the 2 sisters.

The paper is flowing in the breeze and it looks kinda awesome but I think they are cheering for us. People throw flowers and chant our names forgetting about the other districts. I feel a little embarrassed and angry because this will make us huge targets in the games. The chariots make their way to the end where the president presents her speech. We wait in our chariots till she finishes and head towards the training centre.

************************************

Comment what you thought

Vote

Read on

~S