too much drama in an afternoon.18

as aggravating as it is to have no idea where my love is, its not like Hong-er knows-

Wait, I don't need to ask him about it as if I'm trying to find her; once a chance to ask comes up, I will take it without hesitation; he's bound to have something on her in Ghost City! I have to find her; if I don't, she may believe I abandoned her, and I can't let her believe that! Seeing something in the corner of my eye, I had to look a second time. and there was Xie Lian, tying his bamboo hat as it was placed on Hong-er's head. Oh, this poor, sick puppy No, I love sick butterflies more.

"Okay, um," Mu Yoong Yoong said, turning to Feng Ling as she wiped sweat away with her forearm. Hong-er gave the bamboo hat back to his brother before we continued with the dessert. "Is there someplace that isn't boiling to the point of cooking a pot on the ground? Maybe we can get some information down so we know what we're getting ourselves into."

A stifled laugh escaped my lips, noticing how the deputy gods aren't looking after their generals daughters  wel or having much interest in the information being set out so we don't run into any surprises. Only Hong-er noticed this almost snorted laugh. The girls really prefer to be prepared for the most scorching or freezing sorts of weather, and that's why I am glad to have the winter element in these types of situations.

"San Lang,Brother began with his gentle voice. "What else do you know of the evil preceptor? you never finished saying."

"I'd be happy to tell you what I know." Hong-er began as I used some of my limited power to place ice around the girls so they wouldn't overheat. "Though to begin, there were two daoists'."

"Very well then." Lian responded as we continued through the desert. I was interested in what happened to the set of eyes and ears I placed there once things were said and done when I visited that place years ago. They went missing not long after.

"The other's name was Fang Xin of the central plane." Ironically, a cold spear struck my heart. Fang Xin was the name of Bai Wuxang's sword. Mu Yoong Yoong held my wrist slightly in a gentle grip, pulling me back into reality. Looking down, my hand was shaking the way it used to before I discovered I had a connection to ice cultivation. Hong-er's voice faded; I didn't want to remember how tragic my failure to protect my brother resulted in his bleeding.

"general Xie?" Mu Yoong Yoong asked, while Feng Ling looked as concerned as the day I told them both about Bai Wuxiang.

"I'm okay, girls," I replied. "I was just reminded that name... isn't of a person."

The girls looked pale now; they must have remembered the sword I mentioned when they asked about the scars going up my arms to my shoulders.

"It seems you are knowledgeable." Fu Yao commented, notifying me that Hong-er was done talking about Crescent Pass. shaking away the memory and turning to the boys, Lian, however, noticed my expression from the name and tilted his head towards me.

"Seems that way," Hong-er waved. "Because you are ignorant."

Holding back my snort laugh, Fu Yao looked like his head was about to explode, adding on to what I already find hilarious!

"Fu Yao!" his brother called after him as he dragged his foot in the sand as he pulled his elbow back against his shoulder, holding an orb of enchantments in his hand as he spun about in place.

"Reveal yourself!" he shouted as he fired the orb at Hong-er. The boy I met so long ago laughed as he tilted his head to the side to avoid being exposed just yet.

"whats wrong?" Hong-er questioned, his smirk never leaving his face as I continued to strain my throat and lungs from letting out a snort-filled hearty laugh I hadn't let out in years. I can feel the girls watching me with familiar star eyes. "I'm simply relaying what I read in a book; why are you so worked up?"

"Yes." I laughed slightly, stifling to the best I could without snorting up a storm. "What are you so upset about?"

"The stories are just hearsay," the brother spoke up. breaking things up for a little bit. "We'll have to see for ourselves."

"Look over there." Nan Feng pointed to an abandoned building down a varied sandy slope we stood on.

"its already way past high noon, isn't it?" brother proclaimed, looking up to the sky with a hand over his bamboo hat. "Let's take a break."

"I'll run ahead."  Hong-er waved his hand, then rushed down the sand dunes to investigate. I gave both girls a glance before they rushed after him; neither one needed to hear our conversation.

"Your highness, why do you two keep him around?" Fu Yao asked.

'Because he didn't stab us in the back!' I thought to myself as I glared daggers towards them.

"He's good company for us; besides, I already tested him." brother spoke up.

"And he's been a better help to us than your generals have been for the last eight hundred years, at least!" I spat in a freezing tone, and both Xie Lian and the boys looked at me as if I had said it before our 'old friends'.

Neither one looked me in the eye. I want to be mad at Xuan Zhen and Nan Young so badly, but I can't do that or bring myself to hate either of them. I am upset with them, and I do hold a grudge against them, but I can't remember why they left or what I did, so how can I be angry or hate them for leaving after something I did?

"gege! gege!" Hong-er called up, waving his arm in the air. The girls are probably inside, enjoying the shade. "It's nice and cool down here!"

We headed down the dune, the sand making it difficult but somehow managing to get down easy. It turns out the building was an old inn. This bad feeling kept reaching through, feeling as if someone from before was nearby.

Mu yoong yoong and Feng Ling shared a bottle of water, as did his brother and Hong-er. Meanwhile, I used mana to create some ice I could hold in my mouth for a little while. Every so often, I could hear the girls talking about how Hong-er would be an interesting romantic partner for Xie Lian. They've caught on that Hong-er is older than he appears.

"any left?" Hong-er asked, making me smile as my brother was about to hand him the water bag.

"wait!" Fu Yao shouted, holding up his hand.  and Hong-er froze before turning to him. then pulling out a white jade object that was set on the table with a cling. "take mine."

Fu Yao held this jar with some kind of beautiful design on the front and back. I remember hearing about it; the liquid inside isn't water. its true shape serum.